Working my 2nd liter of tonic water for today

Rick Sim
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:18 (72 days ago)

don't know I can get the 4th one down the hatch before I hit the sack...lime juice and lots of ice helps a lot.

It is supposed to be 1 16 oz bottle per day. You must

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:49 (72 days ago) @ Rick Sim

love pain...

If you are concerned about malaria exposure......

Marco
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 15:28 (71 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Fellows, you're not going to get a prophylactic effect (quiet Puffy) from drinking Canada Dry or Schweppes tonic water. Back in the day tonic water had loads of quinine, now, not so much. Medicinal tonic water originally contained only carbonated water and a large amount of quinine. However, most tonic water today contains low amount of quinine, and is thus used mostly for its flavor.

I served a year in a malaria red zone in the mid '80's. We had to take one 300mg tablet with every meal a week before going in and every day while there.

I was curious so I looked up how much quinine is in tonic water:

From the amazing fount of knowledge called the internet:
In the United States, the FDA limits the quinine content in tonic water to 83 ppm (83 mg per liter) while the daily therapeutic dose of quinine is in the range of 500–1000 mg and 10 mg/kg every eight hours for effective malaria prevention.

If you're concerned about malaria exposure in the area you're traveling to, go see you Doc. Get a prescription for quinidine sulfate (generic for Quinidex) and take it as prescribed. Too much quinine is bad for your liver and can cause bleeding problems.

Sure wish I was going, malaria be damned! Especially since Alcorn will be wearing his banana hammock and swimming with crocodiles, sure hate to miss that!

They will not be in a malaria zone.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 15:57 (71 days ago) @ Marco

I loved in Mozambique for 6 years. It's in the malaria zone. During that time we lost 2 missionaries to malaria. I lost count of the number of Mozambicans that I knew who died from it. The last was a pretty little 9 year old girl who died from it about a week after I last enjoyed time on the playground with her and her friends.

We never took anything for malaria but we had malaria meds ready in case. I still have it and am taking enough with me to treat both of us if either of us get it.

The little girl I have my arm around is Maria, the girl who died about a week later.

[image]

It's an acquired taste, just like being a Misfit

Rick Sim
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 18:58 (71 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I heard gin helps the medicine go down

Tim
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 13:57 (71 days ago) @ Rick Sim

- No text -

No. You're thinking of a spoonful of sugar.

Michael Croxton
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 14:17 (71 days ago) @ Tim

- No text -

NO, Tim is correct.

Blake
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 17:28 (71 days ago) @ Michael Croxton

- No text -

Thanks Blake

Michael Croxton
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 21:26 (71 days ago) @ Blake

I always knew gin helped ease your troubles. I just didn't know about the medicine thing.

The sugar works fine if you are 12.

Blake
[subject]
Thursday, May 18, 2017, 07:57 (71 days ago) @ Michael Croxton

- No text -

I take my spoonful of sugar under an absinthe drip

Michael Croxton
[subject]
Thursday, May 18, 2017, 13:03 (70 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

How Very European of you

Blake