WB
I figure Kase has researched the topic maybe GNR
Friday, April 19, 2024, 09:45

I first thought the "new" 8.6 Blackout was a gimmick. It is actually a .338 on what amounts to a shortened and modded .308 (6.5 Creedmore or .30 TC) case. The thing about this new round is exceptional performance in a suppressed form. That is below 1100 fps. Getting something to more than simply poking a hole at that speed is what many people are after. Tumbling slugs, pre-fragmented, hydraulic displacing, specialty slugs have been the innovative trends. They all have showed some success. Plus the supersonic performance is not bad either in the 2200-2400 fps range. Nothing to sneeze at.

This 8.6 requires a .308 size platform. For a semi that's AR10. The true innovative and striking feature of this round is it's rate of twist! THAT is what has made it so innovative and high performing. It specs a CRAZY 1:3" twist rate. I think I read the spin on the projectile is on the order of 500,000 RPM! Normal bullets simply turn to powder exiting the bore or jump the rifling in the bore. It specifies specific solid alloy projectiles or special heavy jacket bonded bullets, even at sub-sonic speeds.

That's long story short a one turn in three inches of bore rotation. It's crazy and unconventional but there is something to the physics. I find the fresh approach interesting for the future.