Abin Sur
What is the goal for your load?
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 19:13

For the light easy shooting stuff, Trail Boss gives great "pop" load that are pleasant to shoot yet are still quite effective in larger calibers. The powder is plentiful and reasonably priced. Plus it can give full cases (uncompressed) that are safe, and cannot be double charged. The other powder that give good promise ( just started working with it ) Vhitavouri ( henceforth VV) Tin Star. Jury is still out on it.

As for HS-6, there are many who use it with great success. John Linebaugh being one of them. I shy away from it as it can generally be double charged and it has low charge densities. ( lots of room in the case ) I have used VV 110 in moderate loads, with low S.D.'s. Being a stick type single based powder it lights well and fills the cases where possible double charges cannot happen. IMR 4227 works also, but tends to give better S.D. with more robust charges, as does the old standby Alliant 2400

As for full house loads, I prefer Hodgdon 110 or Win 296, now they are the exact same powder.

Sooty cases aren't a problem if the load is consistent, they just are "dirty" to handle and you may have to clean your chambers more often.