WIDE OPEN SPACES

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 19:49 (186 days ago)

I grew up in the West ... western United States. First in the Northwest .. Washington State. My grandpa's ranch was 18 miles from town and 5 miles from the nearest neighbor. Then from age 11 on in Arizona. Growing up in country that is literally "wide open spaces" was normal to me and it came as quite a shock in later life when I realized that most Americans live in areas where there is little to none free land. A little over 42% of Arizona is Federal lands .. BLM or Forest Service and most all of these are open to use. Some Western States are around 80% or more Federal lands. Ranchers often hold grazing rights from the government on these lands, but they cannot keep citizens from hunting on them. A lot of it is Open Range country. Now I know I have generalized and there are exceptions, but this is generally true.

After traveling in the East I would sometimes sit and look out over the view from my house, amazed at how people in other places were cramped in. We lived in Oracle, AZ. My house was at about 5000 feet elevation. Behind us was National Forest land and I could ride my horse out the back gate and go for 3 or 4 days without seeing a house or another person. There were hundreds of square miles of high Arizona desert country to hunt and it was home to a lot of game. Black Bear, Javelina, Mountain Lion, Bobcat, Coyotes, Foxes, Turkey, Coues Deer, Mule Deer, Coati Mundi, Jack Rabbits, Cottontail Rabbits, Skunks, Possum, Pack Rats, Mice and all sorts of snakes, lizards, spiders and bugs. We weren't that far from Mexico and I saw Jaguarundi that had wondered up our way. Some of the bigger cats from Mexico were seen now and then. It was a great place for a young guy who loved hunting and loved exploring mountains and canyons that seemed untouched by people!

[image]
Oracle, Arizona

I think that is one thing that attracted me to Africa. Get out of the cities and suddenly you have an entire world of Wide Open Spaces! There are not a lot of people who are able to experience such a thing. Count yourselves blessed!

South Africa .. the Limpopo district

[image]

[image]

Jaguarundi

Nate H
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 20:12 (186 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Most people here probably never even knew such an animal exists.

I had one after my goats one night.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 20:41 (186 days ago) @ Nate H

At first I thought it was a house cat. Then I realized how big the thing was.

it might have been Alcorn. He's into goats...

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 22:53 (186 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

No family resemblance ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, May 18, 2017, 06:28 (186 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Who, me?

SPB
[subject]
Thursday, May 18, 2017, 09:46 (186 days ago) @ Nate H

those that like the open spaces would love South Africa

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 22:53 (186 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

from the Cape all the way up to the Zimbabwe border, with few exceptions it is wide open. This is down south near the cape..cold and windy during hunting season..Sweaters and jackets are the norm..
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image][image][image]

Up toward the middle of South Africa you get into the Drakensburg Mountain chain. This was in an area called Mkuzi.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image][image][image][image][image]

Another area just west of the Drakensburg Mountain chain is the Orange Free State. Open area with rocky bluffs and deep ravines..[image][image][image][image][image]

Up farther you are on the Zimbabwe border in NE South Africa in an area called Venetia
[image][image][image]

But my favorite is the Rooiport area in western South Africa on the edge of the Kalahari Desert. The terrain ranges from rolling sand to scrub brush to heavy brush to rocky bluffs and most of South Africa's animals can be found there. Shots can be long or point blank. In July and August it can be colder than a bitch wolf..[image][image][image][image][image]

The rest of the time is cool in the mornings and warm during the day..
[image][image][image][image][image][image]

Most of the continent is wide open spaces ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, May 18, 2017, 06:26 (186 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

driving across Mozambique it was all wide open country ... I loved it!