Ah were life so simple.... likely boring

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 09:20 (182 days ago)

I don't think I'm very smart, and this was made in the 1970's, but why didn't someone consider the idea that a scope would be cool on a fixed sight model other than the A.S. later version? Took me a few seconds for it to hit my pea sized brain. Sure enough, it had to be an oversight.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The OM version with "semi-adjustable rear sight" pokes out on the sides and hit the clamping mount. If it were easy anyone could manage. The most simple method would be to get a round drill bit of adequate side and drill a strategic located hole for clearance. Basically what I did, but I used an end mill bit on the alloy to make the edges crisp and hole max. depth throughout. Worked like a charm. Now I don't have to drift out the rear sight to mount the scope and re-sight my old classic. I hate taking a brass mallet and drift to any gun unless totally necessary. Plus I'm sure to lose the sight over time. This was a more than agreeable, easy, solution.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Suddenly my eyes are perfect again, better actually! I'm truly dangerous to a bunny out to maybe 75 yds.! This arrangement is old school, looks agreeable, is lighter than what we have today, and comes off in 30 seconds with two allen wrenches. Now the old six-shooter keeps it's iron sight zero too. Gary's scope cut cross draw holster will hold it fine for me. What a nice plinker to keep you skills sharp.

[image]

C'mon now, you're not dumb..

Michael Croxton
[subject]
Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 10:51 (182 days ago) @ WB

Its called common sense. A lot don't have it today. They only know what their study books have told them. They can't (or won't try to) think outside the books.

Nice fix & great setup!

ORG
[subject]
Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 13:44 (182 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Awesome!

Drdougrx
[subject]
Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:48 (182 days ago) @ WB

- No text -