WB
The injustice, the .350 Legend...
Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 09:31

First off the name; Legend. It just does not work for me. Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Swift, Speer whatever but "Legend", I don't see it. It rings goofy or gimmick to me from the get go. I can appreciate it for what it is, a basically straight walled, rimless, .35 cal. cartridge that is very compact and useful. JUST LIKE IT WAS IN 1907, and up through at least 1957. Some coin it as a "rimless .357 Maximum" duh, what do you think the .351 WSL was? OK, the .351 was never a revolver cartridge, I'll give them that one.

I have read about a dozen very descriptive and detailed articles on the cartridge now. Not ONE has mentioned the .351 Winchester Self-loading or the 1905/1907 rifles that made it happen. Not even in casual passing! Today this "new" .350 is touted as the next big thing in the AR platform and spilling out into other medium game roles. What a terrible injustice not to pay homage to the round and even concept that spawned it in the first place. No matter if the guys marketing it now don't understand that or not. On article mentioned the 1894 Winchester in comparison (even that a stretch) and went off in another direction, my head about exploded.

Hey, I think it is a grand idea. I like it. I played with a wonderful blow-back action M1907 Winchester making my shooting ammo from 5.56 NATO cases with the necks cut out. I even used .38 Special Carbide dies to make the stuff. Worked perfectly. The only difference is the factory spec of .352" bullets on the .351 WSL. I actually shot cast .355" from mine for some time. I used forgiving alloy bullets from 125 -200 gr. with great success.

The M1907 rifle was used by the French in WWI for Balloonist, too many Prisons and Police agencies to mention. It was not used on the Bonnie & Clyde ambush as some think, that was the Remington M8 rifle. Sportsmen all over used it for everything from South American Crocodiles, Black Bear, and of course Deer. Remington cataloged ammo up to the late 1970's. The .351 WSL is almost identical to the .350 Legend and serves the exact same purposes that it did, more than adequately, some 112 years ago! The Winchester rifle production spanned exactly 50 years, from 1907 to 1957. It is so true and ringing in my ears, the wisdom of Solomon; "nothing new under the sun". Also his admonishment to learn history or be doomed to repeat it. Can modern gun writers truly be that ignorant?