Gary Reeder
speaking of food below (Moon Pie) reminds me
Thursday, November 15, 2018, 20:04

of what we had growing up. There were no McDonalds anywhere around Nashville, maybe none in the country (1961 and '62). No Burger King, No Arbys, No Jack In the Box, No Sizzler, very few of the fast food places we have now. We had the Krystal Burger (those little 2" square burgers that were 10 for $1) which was the same as White Castle Burgers, Shoney's Big Boy and Whataburger. Before I started driving, we looked forward to going "into town" on Saturday afternoon and going to the Whataburger. The Shoney's was where all the kids hung out in the evenings. We would drive around the drive up section endlessly. The girls wore shorts that were risque at the time (these days women wear shorts that short to church. The girls also wore roller skates. We would order the Shoney's Big Boy (which was about the size of the Whopper these days. If we left the girls a 25ยข tip, we were big spenders. Driving around and around Shoneys for hours on end, I don't remember exactly what we were looking for, it was just cool to drive around in our Mother's car. Good times back then.

In Nashville there was a day old Colonial bread company and my Grandmother raised pigs as everyone did. I would drive her pick up truck with the high sideboards into Nashville and go to the day old bread building and they would pile up probably 500 lbs of day old bread into the truck. I think it cost $5. They also gave us those chocolate muffins, and the solid marshmallo Snowballs with the white sprinkles on top. They also had the frosted Fried Apple pies. The day old chocolate muffins tasted as good to me as the fresh ones. I would pick out a large handful of each of these and pitch them into the front seat of the truck and eat them on the long 20 mile trip back to Granny's house. Our kids these days don't know what they are missing.