Larry Fry
WB, check out the Zero Tolerance
Saturday, July 22, 2017, 10:34

clip point flippers. Get either the ELMAX or Swedish Powder Steel blades. If you can find them at a knife and gun show, look for a Gerber MKII and a MKI. The first is a long fixed blade and the second is a short boot knife. Both are reliable and hard to break. Do not get the on with the angle on it like was carried in vietnam. They never did work out really well, the balance felt wrong, and the guys quit carrying them in the field because they would lose them and they cost so much. Kabar did the job, was an issue knife, and was easy to put an edge on it. For a bug out kit, the knives that are offered now just do not really provide a really durable rust proof steel (of which there is no such thing, even 440C will rust). I like the Bowie knives that Gary offers as they are made out of L6 but they do require care to prevent rusting. Much like the katanna's of Japan, they would rust from fingerprints alone. It is best to wipe them off after handling them and put a light coat of oil on them with a soft cloth. You can store them in a sheath as long as they are not left in it for very long. Take them out periodically and wipe with oil and they will store just fine no matter what people tell you. I have been doing it for years and none of my knives have rusted, so they should be good for a bug out bag. Just remember to rotate items through your BOB and oil the knives when you do......JMHO