WB
Brief knife and packing kit review.
Friday, July 21, 2017, 06:52

Unfortunately I've had to travel a bit to big cities lately, which I dislike very much (the travel). When I do go I always pack a few items in my kit, checked luggage, to make me feel a bit more independent and self sufficient. I'd hate to think a SHTF situation while I was off but I like to at least feel like I have a few things to help. I do the same thing on vacation trips with a revolver usually added.

[image]

I've been eyeing the "tactical" pens and while I like the idea personally I detest anything black and many features are sort of silly. When are you really going to need a glass breaker or handcuff key? I bought this one to keep as it had more of a survival vibe to it. My only critique is the ink ctg. is smaller so it's more for signing things or brief notes than writing a dissertation. But that's minor.

I chose a bright color so I could find it on a cluttered desk. The pen does have a "glass breaker" which I guess is also a defensive tip. It's left hand threaded to reverse into a striker plate for fire starting. Another part has the ferro rod end. Then you have the pen, and the cap is a whistle! (Puffy - never blow another man's whistle, even if he says it's OK.) I wish they had some tuning holes so I could play a tune to amuse myself but I think it's an innovative feature. Quality feel, I like it.

[image]

I'm not much of a knife guy but I aspire to learn enough to carry on a meaningful conversation with Larry Fry one day. It was my desire to get a quality pocket knife that could double as defensive but still was "anti-tactical" and not blacked out. I also wanted to try a Columbia River Knife and Tool brand product. Of all the designs I chose this one, a spring assisted flipper. The thumb stud has a gimmicky safety that is sort of neat but requires some familiarization to easily use. The size is a bit under 8" overall with good sturdy blade and nice reach for real pocket knife. Handle material is true G10 synthetic and all metal internals, spacers etc. Why they do pocket clips tip down is beyond me but it's not too bad. I like the knife and think it was a fair buy. I prefer flippers to autos but think finger tip flip is superior. Kershaw's have been my brand of late and I almost bought another but wanted a CRKT. Now I can check them off the list.

[image]