WB
What a fun list. All lists are good for speculation.
Monday, March 04, 2024, 09:57

There are some folks that know absolutely nothing about firearms but now are interested in learning and becoming new gun owners. That's not a bad thing. If they printed off that list and went to the gun store, and drew a good dealer, it would get them off to a fair start.

Budgeting plays a large part too. I see no Taurus G series mentioned, that would have been a nice addition for those on a tight budget. I am a very, very poor example of someone to mimic as to selections. When my wife wanted a personal semi-auto I backed totally off, found a female dealer for her, and told her to get whatever she wanted. I was totally out of the picture and price (excluding Korth's etc) was up to her, no guilt. She picked a SIG 365X. Her hand strength for racking the slide was a factor as well as ergonomics. She found the S&W EZ-rack models unappealing and too complex with the grip safety's. Sorry S&W!

On the list of (14) I find I have six of them. Completely by happenstance. The G19, well actually a G23 (.40 S&W) I converted to 9mm with a new barrel. I actually prefer using .40 cal. mags for 9mm as the round rides higher and feeds more reliable with blunt nose, large meplat bullets. Also I have a .357 SIG barrel for it. Soulless, but it works every time and I found ways to make it interesting.

No flies on the 15-shot G19.
[image]

SIG 320, for a non-Glock it's OK. I do not like the rear sight but it's made to take off and use optics anyway. I have the 320X-Carry. But the grip (17-shot) was to long and hit stuff. I got a Wilson module, still too long, and milled it off in my shop, only about 1/4" but boy did it make a difference. I use (15 shot) mags that fit flush and the original 17-shot for recharges. Wilson module is smaller and grippier. I don't seem to shoot it much better than my G19/23 though.

[image]

We have kept Beretta 92/96 for years. EVERYONE in the family shoots the 92 well and likes it. So I just keep it around. We have the 92A1 version with a rail, dovetail front sight, it's not bad. It's huge, but light, accurate, and shoots like a .22. (Look away Irv!) I can't find any pics of mine anyway. Here's Doug's, someplace far away, I think the pic is OK. Is that a REEDER slide holster on the other side of the world?!

[image]

Who can resist the J S&W. It is just better than copies too. Rossi, Taurus, Ruger SP, they all are close but the S&W is superior to me. My wife's actual favored carry piece. I also have a M63 Kit gun I'd never part with.

That's the 7-shot PM9 I sold, next to D.'s .38.
[image]

The 1911, how many do YOU have?! I have pared down to "just" (2) but I have hald a dozen other .45 ACP guns. My big son has (2), even my youngest son got a Springfield M1911A1 for his 16th birthday. You got to have some of those.

[image]

G30s and PM45 "other" .45's.
[image]

The Kahr is a very electric taste. I'd sure not suggest it for just anyone. It's a DA only gun, not trigger safety type, a real DA pull like a revolver. It is striker fired but a cammed trigger system that is consistent totally from beginning to end, I like it. I liken it to a semi-auto form of revolver that has been "flattened" for carry. The CW models are cheaper and have conventional rifled barrels that are great for cast bullet shooting. The fancier "P", "PM". and "K" or "MK" versions all sport Lothar Walther barrels and use polygonal rifling that is best with jacketed bullets. But literally Kahr makes the smallest and most powerful standard production line of semi-autos around. They are accurate too! IF you are. I have the P380, but it's the smallest, lightest, that has REAL sights with a locked breach action I know of. Sold my PM9 and kept the PM40 and PM45. The PM45 I find fantastic, I load 6 rounds and keep a 1911 "military spec" 8-shot mag as back up. I also found 230 gr. ball ammo seems to be best. Not many JHP expand reliably from a 3.5" barrel so I just run ball. The 185's do shoot sweet from the PM45 though.

I still have the .357 too. It is a brick. From left - PM45, P40, PM9, and P380.
[image]

The others on the list are quality firearms and just subject to personal taste. As mentioned not a bad list to start with.

For Jim, a couple of my carry SA guns...
[image]
[image]