Gary Reeder
I dumped that idea 10 years ago after doing
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 14:14

one piece of brass to those specs. I always measure case capacity first before deciding to go with it or dump it before I spend a lot more money.The case was a 41 mag slightly tapered down to 40 caliber. It had a 12 degree taper and the case capacity was not enough to go ahead with the design.

I dumped that idea and went with the 44 Mag case necked to 40 caliber as the case capacity was considerably more than it's nearest competitor. That became the 401 GNR. I always save my original drawings to compare any new ideas with the old stuff to see if it actually is worth doing. From the time I draw up the specs, send them to David Manson, have a rough cut reamer done, chamber a barrel or cylinder to the new cartridge, test it for any problems that might crop up, like backing out, bulging brass etc, get a new finisher reamer made, chamber a barrel or cylinder, get 3 fired cases made, send them to Hornady, and have 12 sets of dies made, I will have taken around 1 year of my life,and spent between $2500 and $3000. That is for each GNR or custom caliber we have. So figure $3000 times 70 custom cartridges and you have almost a quarter million dollars I have blown in the last 35 years on custom cartridges, and reason enough to have me sent to the funny farm.