WB
So I'm having fun with the .350 Legend...
Friday, December 27, 2019, 10:50

and I keep reading how the .357 Maximum guys are pissing all over it, I can't really understand. It's easily 10% more capacity, rimless, oddly a slightly smaller bullet diameter, but what's not to like. Most guns it is set up for are so much stronger than what we used to shoot in our old Contenders.

I got really good performance first try with 200 gr. bullets and some 158 gr. SWC. I was happy. My powders and bullet weights were not exactly in the published data so I just used old .357 Maximum data like I shot in my old 1974 TC. Usually with the slow powders you run out of room way before you get signs of pressure, as long as you don't compress it.

Pardon the ugly old attempt at painting the 215 gr. RNGC. I shoot ugly bullets first so no one will see them again.
[image]

SO I finally found some published data for my powder and bullet range! I was like 3 grains over the published maximum for the .350 Legend! WTH?!!! A multi-lug locked breach AR is light years ahead of an old TC, bolt guns too. MY loads shot fine and were not "hot" by any standard I go by. So for the last 40 years I've been shooting 60,000 psi+ .357 Maximums?!!! Evidentially everyone else has too.

First they get goofy with the bullet diameter and piss everyone off. Then for the next act they load it 10% under the smaller capacity .357 Maximum. No wonder the factory ammo was not spec'd that much hotter than the 1907 .351 Winchester! I wondered about that. Does it have something to do with legalization of stink weed? I'd love to slap around some engineers and think-tank nerds. What happened to that generation? Next, I'll finally buy some 350 reloading dies.

BTW I actually loaded a round with no primer. I noticed it after I dribbled AA1680 all over my lap. (forgot to mention the 145 gr. FMJ factory ammo has military type crimped primers - Another step I don't need to deal with. Why?!) When I pulled the bullet the check stuck. An old Indian trick; drill (no powder remember), insert screw, run up through press, pinch with pliers, and there you go. NO I did not re-use the check.

[image]
[image]