WB
Back during the "Primer Shortage" when it first
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 12:36

developed, the .240 Raptor, I sourced some CCI Small Rifle caps. But using old 6mm TCU data I began getting "cupping" or "primer extrusion". That is the primer metal beginning to flow into the firing pin hole, creating a raised lip around the firing pin indentation. Typically this means very high pressures. But I new this should not be as the capacity of the data I was using was much less than the more capacious .240 Raptor. Sean told me he had an issue or two and it went away. I began trying different primers as I could find them. Finally I got hold of some wonderful Remington #7-1/2 small rifle Bench Rest primers. Boy they got things in line. I was able to do realistic load development with true progressive results. I sort of hoard them for special ctgs. such as the Raptor now. If you can find any they are truly special. Since then I have tried another lot of CCI SR and had no problems. I'd not want to blight a reputation on one speculative case but that is my odd experience and it has not repeated itself.