Gary Reeder
in the "Great Primer Shortage of 2013" or somewhere
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:48

along in there a lot of old primers came out of closets and safes. I put a sign up in our gun shop that I would buy primers. I had one old fellow bring in some old Remington primers that came in the little wooden cartons. These were the OLD primers that were rounded instead of being flat on the face. They were for sure corrosive. I started not to buy them from the old fellow but he looked like he could use the money so I bought them. I still have them at the house. I gave a few of the boxes to a collector or two. He also brought in some Remington bullets that had the caliber hand written on the box from the factory. Not sure at all when they would have been made.
[image]
[image]
[image]

A lot of strange stuff came out of the woodwork back then. Back 50 or 60 years ago or more old guys liked to put bullets in snuff cans and such rather than the factory boxes. I got a batch of unusual bronze tip 25 caliber bullets in a powder puff box.No idea who made them. I loaded some of them up hot in a 257 Raptor and knocked a big Watusi cow down at the HHC. She struggled to get back up on her feet so I finished her with the 429 GNR. But if my bullet placement had been a bit better she would have dropped for good to that little bronze tip 25 caliber bullet.
[image]
[image]

And if you thought today's reloading benches look like a cobbled together mess, take a look at a gun writer's bench back in the late 1940s.
[image]