WB
A bit unconventional, but not really.
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 08:22

The little ultra airweight I have been playing with is really neat. I have it set up as I envisioned. The new front sight is a teeny bit taller and makes it hit a little low to my liking at 30 yds. I like a 6 O'clock hold, seeing where my bullet will land. As of now it hits right under that big green dot, fine for a panic response at close range.

[image]

The recoil impulse on a 13 oz. .38 is a little noteworthy too. Much, much better than that horrible Ruger LCR (pitooey) but still a little stingy to make it less than enjoyable. I shot some classic 158 gr. SWC that went 715 fps and some factory +P 125 gr. JHP that clocked 825 fps. The recoil is super fast, pointing out my short sight in adding the laser cut checkering on the little boot grips, a $10 ornamental option. Go smooth next time.

I read that in the early 60's in Dragnet days a popular snubby load was the original 200 gr. Police load in .38 Special. This runs very slow at maybe 600 fps +/-. Disturbingly many quoted that the bullet "yaw" made it more effective after it penetrated. Not very awe inspiring, and indicating it's on the edge of stability to begin with.

The .357 does great, just hits a bit high to the available sight adjustments. Only need to slow it down and make shorter for the .38 loading.
[image]

I have shot the RCBS 200 gr. rifle bullet in .357 around 1000-1300 fps with great results, in .38 cases. I also have a 180 gr. FNGC I can play with. I'm thinking of playing with taking the .38 Special down to the .38 S&W military load level for this light weight application. I can cast very soft alloy bullets for some expansion and limit over penetration. It should raise my POI to my more favored sighting and the recoil impulse will be changed, hopefully a bit slower, spread over a longer duration.

It won't hurt anything to try it. I might even revisit my Mom's LCR with that load if it proves fruitful and less painful. The soft lead gas checked 180-200 gr. load at 600-650 fps.

This guy did some interesting testing.
[image]