WB
You can play a little without doing much
Monday, January 06, 2020, 14:44

But there are some dynamics at play you may not know about. A heavy spring does more to force the barrel up into the locking recesses more consistently. It also slams the gun back into battery and hammers the slide release catch hard on the last round.

As I mentioned a while back about the 1911 10mm I have been reading how the firing pin stop plate and a heavy hammer spring do more to lessen the battering of the slide and frame than a heavy recoil spring. The original GI pin plate was flat bottomed but the soldiers were having some trouble racking the slides from hammer down. It was the Govt. that chose to add a bevel that was NOT a J.M. Browning design.

You can go to a slower powder and lighter bullet and jazz up the old ACP round considerably over the old stand by. See what max ACP loads do and then if all is well, inch up toward lite .45 Super from there. I'd really look at the case web support in the barrel where the feed ramp is. That's where guns blow as they open a bit prematurely. You want as much of that area in the chamber as possible. You can work up a bit on the loads but watch for any case bulges in that unsupported web area. Measure more than you can see with your eyes too. Other than that Wolff will make you any weight of spring you desire. I have a 1911 10mm spring that must be 35# I'll give you!

Alcorn had a Rowland case blow and I was standing next to him. Most went downward in the magazine but some gas shot right down the slide rails and directly into his face. Thankfully he is adamant about wearing god shooting glasses and was not injured. The gun was not harmed either, just a stuck case. I'd not want to be close to that again either. Personally I have blown primers and busted a barrel link once. Curiosity killed the cat.