I know this will irritate some of you but

John W
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 11:21 (1680 days ago)

Yesterday I bought a copy of Outdoor Life and read an article titled," Scaling Back". The main idea of the article is how one hunter has pared back much of his hunting equipment to what you can class as a minimalist philosophy. Ok. I know that is rubbing some people the wrong way already.

I have seen these in the past but never got the gumption to obtain one. It seems quite interesting to say the least.

https://aerohunter.us/

As it stands now, no pun intended, I have several hang on stands and a couple of ladder stands. In plain English they do take up a lot of room. Also they are somewhat of a pain to set up and take down at the end of the season.

So. What do you think of the "saddle" system? I know Gary is not a fan of what you can call elevated hunting but I am so used to it that it is hard for me just to sit on the ground, so to speak.

Any comments welcomed. Thanks

Not for me.

Sid R
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 12:45 (1680 days ago) @ John W

I have 3 blinds, 3 ladder stands, 2 climbers and 2 box blinds.
I have a 1700 acre lease and my own land. When Weyerhauser makes a clear cut I have to adjust things around on the lease. I must be mobile to changing habitat and conditions. Even if the acorns don't fall must move some around to be on the brows. Plus my wife hunts with me and I may have a guest. I have to have a good selection.

[image]

Just one stand location at my lease last weekend.

Sid, is that weyrhauser land in Oklahoma by chance?

Asa
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 15:01 (1680 days ago) @ Sid R

- No text -

Asa, it is Western Arkansas less than 25 miles to OK

Sid R
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 17:44 (1680 days ago) @ Asa

- No text -

Just wondering, my dad grew up

Asa
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 21:17 (1680 days ago) @ Sid R

In Broken Bow, born in DeQueen because that was the nearest hospital then, always heard about the weyerhauser land down there. They have it in other parts of the country I understand as well. Back then you they would hunt and fish and cut firewood on it, not sure what they allow now. Beautiful country, but I hardly get down that way these days, never got to hunt it myself.

Depends on the locale, in Washington and Oregon

Amede
[subject]
Friday, September 20, 2019, 03:32 (1680 days ago) @ Asa

now in a lot of places you have to apply for a permit. There are permits for driving behind gates and day passes for hiking in. They are usually sold out in a day. Even if you are just out mushroom picking you need a permit. I never bought one and went hunting anyways. Most of the land they own was given to them by us for building a timer industry and I think it is a crime that we cant use it recreationally. When they bought Plum Creek here in MT, they thought of doing that. Then were told that the state would take the land back as the state had given solely for them to do timber but had to allow public access.

Asa my lease is due east of Broken Bow lake.

Sid R
[subject]
Friday, September 20, 2019, 13:22 (1679 days ago) @ Asa

East of Wicks, AR. Cossatot River valley. The lease boarders the Cossatot State Park (No Hunting).
[image]

Mistake of a lifetime couldve bought 30 acres

Asa
[subject]
Friday, September 20, 2019, 15:26 (1679 days ago) @ Sid R

Surrounded on 3 sides by WMA land and the 4th was bordered by little river or Glover river?

everybody has their own way of hunting.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 13:22 (1680 days ago) @ John W

Treestands are just not for me. I have taken quite a few Whitetails and they have all been either ground blinds, stuck back in some heavy brush with the rising sun behind me, or by stalking. My type of bear hunting is the same, but mostly ground blinds. For deer I really prefer stalking on foot. I normally find cedar thickets around old corn fields or around watering holes and quietly sneak thru the woods. I have done very well with that thru the years. But it is all in what you like. Ignore the way I hunt and find your own preferred type of hunting. That will work for you. And ignore all the "hunting" shows on TV. They are 90% fake and are just to entice you to buy whatever product they are using. With those shows it is all about money and very little of it is real.

Saddle hunting thoughts....

MQ1
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 20:25 (1680 days ago) @ John W

I grew up in the midwest, and have tried just about every style of stand hunting common...hang on, climbers...homebuilt platforms in trees...you name it.

Each style of stand has its plusses and minuses...climbers are quick, but you are limited to straight trees...hang ons are sturdy and light, but take additional time to set up, and can ruin a good spot if hunted too much (or get stolen)...etc..

I bought a saddle to hunt this year mostly because I think it will be safer in the tree, as fast as a climber, but allow me the freedom to hunt from odd trees that would not work for a climber or hang-on. I don’t think it really minimalist, but it does cover the bases better than the other options if you like to hunt in many different areas and will not be hunting permanent stands.

To me, ambush hunting success is predicated on understanding the movements of deer in the woods, and putting yourself in a position for a clean shot. I bow hunt mostly, but have used a pistol when injury would not allow me to draw my bow.

I can’t lie...I’m looking forward to playing with the saddle this season.

MQ1

Please let us know how well you do

John W
[subject]
Friday, September 20, 2019, 03:28 (1680 days ago) @ MQ1

It would be interesting to see how it works out.

My saddle hunting was done from horseback.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, September 20, 2019, 06:51 (1679 days ago) @ MQ1