Grizzly Attack in Montana

Tom
[subject]
Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 08:24 (1653 days ago)

Saw on the news this morning that 3 hunters were attacked by a grizzly in Montana. 2 separate attacks, one involved 2 hunters, the 2nd attack was on a lone hunter. They suspect the same bear in both attacks. Injuries were
reported as being "moderate to severe". Bear spray was used in one of the attacks. They said it happened so fast
they couldn't even get a gun into action. The pair of hunters think they startled the bear while it was sleeping.
I do not know any details of the 2nd attack.

Hunting alone in griz country is risky to say the least

Woody
[subject]
Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 13:42 (1653 days ago) @ Tom

- No text -

hunting alone in any kind of bear country is a no no

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 15:27 (1653 days ago) @ Woody

- No text -

My oldest son and his hunting partner are

James Simpson
[subject]
Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 15:16 (1653 days ago) @ Tom

heading for that location tomorrow. They were both drawn for elk archery tags and he called me last night as he had heard the same news story. A hunter was killed in that area last year, also by a grizzly. He also mentioned that the game department was considering shutting that area down due to those 2 attacks. The difference between this years and last year's attack was the hunter killed had downed an elk the night before. He was coming back in to pack the rest out and the bear was waiting by the remaining carcass.

Your son

Tom
[subject]
Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 21:09 (1653 days ago) @ James Simpson

may want to rethink the area they hunt in. The bear responsible has not been yet found.

He texted me an hour ago and they were told that the bear

James Simpson
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 16:36 (1652 days ago) @ Tom

was shot today. They're actually about 10 miles south of Cottonwood road.

Cottonwood road is a very popular road

Amede
[subject]
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 07:13 (1652 days ago) @ James Simpson

through the Gravelly mtns. It is now closed until they find the bear(s). My buddy who lived in Sheridan for 10 years and worked for the Forest Service never saw a grizzly there, so that is interesting. Its not that far from Yellowstone so they are definitely there. We never hunted the Gravellys as they were too popular even during archery season. During rifle season its a zoo. Your son and his buddy might want to try the northern end off of warm springs road. If I remember, good access and plenty of elk. Just look for deep timber on a north face.