We've discussed giving locally on here before...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 18:29 (1677 days ago)

I rarely even refer to it as charity. The word just doesn't sit well with me...

In 2007 I was doing a high profile job in a shipyard. Met a young fellow there who I unofficially adopted. He is only a few days different in age than my own son. I believe the Lord just puts us where we're needed sometimes. How doesn't matter.

In 2009, he married a good friend's daughter. As typical they had two children together. Life was good for him.

Then in 2018, while playing with his kids, he made a miscalculation and broke his neck. The result was serious damage and partially paralyzed.

He has made some progress with expensive therapy. I spoke with him tonight and he hopes for another round next summer.

I'll start the ball rolling tomorrow on donations. His father-in-law and I argue over which of us gets to claim him. Neither of us saw this coming. But, we both love him like a son.

This is what I believe in and 100% goes where it should.

Quinn and his family...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 18:34 (1677 days ago) @ Huey

The wife and I follow a similar philosophy

Rsim
[subject]
Monday, September 16, 2019, 05:22 (1676 days ago) @ Huey

Here in SW FL, there are plenty of opportunities to help. Currently, we both have two individuals who show the need and willingness to accept us in the Spirit of our intentions. Giving our time means the most and is our most precious offering. We can easily discern needs once the friendship is there, and it's not one-sided. Most importantly, 100% of our time and resources spent find the need. Friends on the steep edge of poor choices just need to know you are there and willing. Lastly, we will not be taken advantage of, that's a game changer.