I'm rethinking my ammo for defense lately.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 06:35 (1684 days ago)

I have special JHP ammo for carry and practice with more economical FMJ. I like the 9mm lately as it is cheap and I shoot it as well as my .22 rimfires. Since I carry them for "farm use" as well as CCW I typically favor 147 gr. JHP. It is very, very, unlikely I will ever be forced to defend myself. But that possibility these days is what makes me remain vigilant.

How horrible would it be to simply carry 147 gr. FN-FMJ's all round? I have learned hunting hogs, even my size, to use a solid bullet, always, in the handgun. With a carbine or rifle class single shot you can effectively use modern expanding bullets. As for me I'm not interested in JHP for hogs, not even .51 cal. Then it's all about bullet placement. If you have the penetration all you have to do it put it there.

Today I find I have only one mag of JHP and will be forced to carry FMJ back-up. Got me thinking.

YOU CAN ALWAYS LOAD THEM

JT
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 06:51 (1684 days ago) @ WB

STAGGERED: JHP/FMJ/JHP/FMJ.....OR VICE VERSA

Staggered

Rw
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 07:15 (1684 days ago) @ JT

I stagger hollow point,full metal jacket in my 45 and 380 makes sense to me

Loves me, loves me not,.... I like it.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 14:15 (1683 days ago) @ Rw

At the very least it reduces my chances of making a bad choice to 50%. Better odds than I'm used to. The Law does not know what to do with something lrandom ike that, blows per-meditation theory all to heck!

You did you like solids for handgun hunting

Blake
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 07:58 (1684 days ago) @ WB

It is so funny how everyone has different experience. Solids on sheep are less than spectacular even from a .50 in my experience. It seams deer aren’t real picky on solid or jacket, and hogs it all about size. For me I like a good bonded jacket bullet for everything. On deer the bonded hp opens up and doesn’t exit. Same on hogs unless they or big or you hit bone then they turn in to a solid by shedding the mushroom, and will quite often exit. I have shot clean through the shoulders of a 200lbs hog and broke the hip on another one with one shot from my 41GNR2. And with the same load shot several 90 lbs does in the shoulders and not had an exit. The running joke is “ how do it know” this is the 210gr Speer deepcurl or gold dot bullet at a muzzle Velocity 1800+ FPS. Obviously if you put a hole all the way through anything in the right spot it will die, but I have enough sheep and hogs shot with solids in the right spot to know the animal need to be convinced after the fact. Now I am also sure there are a lot of folks that only hunt with solids with way more experience than me that can shed some light on this
But this is just me from my experience

I could loan you some ammo

Df
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 08:06 (1684 days ago) @ WB

Until you scratch up $30......

I’ve got it order it. Can’t buy local. $3 per round!

WB
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 17:28 (1683 days ago) @ Df

- No text -

remember the bear that Colleen hit with her truck and

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 09:34 (1684 days ago) @ WB

how the JHPs did on a bear? And how the FMJs did? Keep that in mind. The chances that you will be attacked by a naked skinny guy is fairly slim.

I used to stagger all my ammo, one JHP then a solid and so

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 16, 2019, 12:23 (1682 days ago) @ gary reeder

on. After none of the JHPs that hit that bear even penetrated more than an inch thru thick hair and an inch or two of fat, whereas the solid did a number on him, I have changed my way of thinking. For people defense I carry nothing but FMJ ammo. On my Cape Buffalo last year Steve Hornady sent me some of his DGX (Dangerous Game Expanding) and DGS (Dangerous Game Solid) bullets. At 1850 fps the DGX did not expand and acted like a solid but dropped the buffalo with one shot. So I am beginning to like solids more and more.

Scotty, not sure if you are talking

Larry Fry
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 09:45 (1684 days ago) @ WB

defensive loads against humans or animal critters. If humans, I once asked Masad Ayoob about the subject and he told me to always carry what ever the police carried in your state. He described a lot of horror stories where he testified as an expert witness where the DA would make out the defender to be a cold blood killer because he hand loaded special killing bullets and the juries bought it. In all cases where the defender used the same bullets the police used they were acquitted of murder. Some still faced manslaughter charges but most of those ended up being dropped. I took that to heart and have carried what the police carry ever since. Currently it is 135 grain Hornady Law Enforcement rounds in a Glock 19. AS for animal critters, unless your game laws are peculiar, you are pretty much on your own. I have used both solids and expanding bullets on varying game. On really big game I like a bonded expanding bullet like the Hornady DGX or equivalent (elk or bear). For deer, if you are close enough a 158 grain .38 in the right spot will kill them. I have used an arrow that weighted in total around 350 grains (head, shaft and fletching)at 290 fps and had the arrow go right though and the dropped within 50 feet. Point being in my opinion as JT and others have said, it is all about shot placement....YOU even told me that once when we were trying to figure out that .243 you helped me sight in.

In Texas

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 10:24 (1683 days ago) @ Larry Fry

The State Attorney was asked that question about ammo. He said that in cases of use of deadly force, the question of ammo never comes up. The thing the State looks at was "Is this a justified use of deadly force?" If it is nothing else is looked at.

I think that Masad was refering to states

Larry Fry
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:32 (1683 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

like New Jersey, New York etc. that still permit legal carry. His observation was that it was best to stick with the same ammo that the police carry. I was born and raised in Texas and that is a different sort of mind set there compared to say, Kalifornia, New Jorsey, or New Yarrrk.... Florida has a stand your ground law now and still there is always the question of "is use of deadly force justified?" Alabama where I now reside, has the same use of deadly force criteria that Texas has unless someone is in your home at night with a weapon. In that case deadly intent is presumed on the part of the intruder and use of deadly force is justified. We have had a case of that several years ago right down the road from my house. No charges were ever filed nor was ammo used at question there. Using your weapon on another human is never done lightly by anyone with even a little brain power. If you ever need to do so, it pays to make sure no DA out to make a name for him or her self can use you as a scapegoat. So back to WaterBoys original question/observation, I would still stick to what the police carry. BTW, Mr. Ayoob did say he could recommend what the State Police or any other jurisdiction used in the State in question is also an acceptable carry ammo. In Alabama the police are allowed to carry pretty much what they want to within the guidelines established by the police armorer. I have been told a number of different rounds but choose to use something I can handle.

Sure.. I do understand ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:37 (1683 days ago) @ Larry Fry

not all states are friendly to gunowners.