hunting feral cats in Australia

Ray
[subject]
Saturday, September 14, 2019, 15:42 (1683 days ago)

A shorter look at cat hunting

PJ
[subject]
Saturday, September 14, 2019, 16:41 (1683 days ago) @ Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0GJaGpAn5c

I'm a cat person and take no joy in the idea of hunting them, but as an invasive there's not much that's more destructive. Songbirds, lizards, small mammals, etc can be wiped out in short order. We forget Fluffy is an apex predator, only tiny.

In America, we're more densely populated and hog hunting is big business and a favorite pastime. Australia just doesn't have enough people to get control of the problem, probably ever short of clever gene editing of their prey or something. Hunting won't do it any more than it's controlled hogs here. Local success for vulnerable species is probably the best they can hope for.

I use to have an article about feral dog hunts

Asa
[subject]
Saturday, September 14, 2019, 18:38 (1683 days ago) @ Ray

Believe it was in the 60's or 70' out of the southern states.

In southern Arizona

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 06:14 (1682 days ago) @ Asa

north of Tucson where I lived I killed a lot of wild dogs. One year I shot 37 between May and August. The deer and rabbit population around there increased the next few years.

In the mountains behind Oracle, AZ there was a large pack of wild dogs. I was riding my horse one day and heard a lot cows bawling. Looking up toward the top of one of the ridges I could see a large herd of cows running.

That is unusual for them so I rode up around and onto the ridge. Took me maybe a half hour or so. As I came into a small stand of trees the cows came running back past me, slightly below me on the mountain. There was a large pack of dogs chasing them. The dogs were not barking or making noise.

I had only my 45 single action and was sure wishing I had a semi auto rifle about then. I climbed off the horse, got the sixgun out and waited. As they came below me I opened up on them. I hit 3 out of the 5 shots I fired. At the shooting the dogs began disappearing into the brush. Again there was no barking or yipping.

There must have been 20 or 25 dogs in that pack.

Some time later my daughter and I were riding and had 3 dogs come out of the brush and right at us. I had a .45 ACP on and whacked one of them. At the shot the other two whirled back into the brush. Again, they made no sounds. It was eerie.

Whenever I was in the hills I shot every dog I saw that did not have a human with it.

We lived just outside a small town when I was younger

Asa
[subject]
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 10:08 (1682 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

there was a trailer park just a mile down the road, they weren't exactly feral/wild but the dogs would pack up in the day time and harass the neighbors goats. Then when the owners would get home from work they would disband and go their separate ways. Had a couple stalk me when walking home, that's an eerie feeling, on foot and unarmed, could usually lead em in close to the house and bolt for the door. Fertilized a few fruit trees dad had with strays, so they went to good use.

PJ I agree with you, we have a feral and

jthomson
[subject]
Saturday, September 14, 2019, 18:43 (1683 days ago) @ Ray

domestic cat problem in the small town I reside. Turns out some well minded lady is feeding 18 cats at her house attracting both feral cats , skunks and a few coons. The neighbors are up in arms. Our local animal control officer tells me for every one he live traps and takes to the county humane shelter, the city is charged 5 dollars per day for keep and 40 dollars per animal to put them down. They are not eligible for adoption due to the sheer volume of cats being brought in. It is a growing problem with no ready answer.