Llama 45?? Any good?

Dave H.
[subject]
Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 16:29 (1717 days ago)

Local store has a used Llama 45, the "minimax," I think it is called. Appears to be a compact (3.5"?) barrel. Price seems good - I know nothing about Llama 45s. Might make a good truck gun. I can't find a Star......Any help or advice appreciated.

There are 3 star PD’s on Gun Broker now!

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 17:19 (1717 days ago) @ Dave H.

- No text -

taking Gary's advice, I got a PD. It is 10 times the gun

Jerome
[subject]
Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 20:21 (1717 days ago) @ Blake

that the Llama is. Go with the PD.

Star

Rex
[subject]
Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 07:37 (1717 days ago) @ Jerome

After reading Gary's recommendation of Star some time ago I bought a Firestar M45. The Firestar series comes with ambi safties and I am left handed. Since then, I have picked-up another 45 as well as an Ultrastar, a M43 and a Firestar Plus.
All are great guns. The 45's are perfect for a truck gun, a little heavy for everyday carry. I am currently looking for a Megastar in 45 or 10mm.

Rex, the Stars you mentioned are great guns, extremely

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 16:23 (1716 days ago) @ Rex

reliable but heavy. If you want a carry gun, get the PD.

Star

Rex
[subject]
Thursday, August 15, 2019, 06:34 (1716 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Yes sir, they are heavy. The ultrastar has a polymer frame
with stiffeners in the magwell. Feels good in the hand, but kind of ugly. And still a little heavy for a polymer frame gun. The firestar plus is an aluminum frame - still heavy for it's size. It's funny, but most reviews you read on the firestar series says "built like a tank".

I have a broken one I’m working on now

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 18:48 (1717 days ago) @ Dave H.

For a friend. The plunger tube atop the left grip departs sharply from a 1911 design for unknown reasons. Rather than being pinned like a 1911 it has two flanges and screws. The replacement part is around $40. FWIW. It seemed pretty serviceable but not near the same class as a Star as to quality. Not a High Point but between that and a really good gun.

The Star BM is a huge value. Just stick to factory mags.