Herters reloading equipmemt

Paul lauer
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 10:12 (1743 days ago)

Does any one have experience with a Herters super model 3 press, powder measure or model 5 scale?I was at an auction and purchased them extremely cheap. All of it is in excellent condition and as far as I can tell all of the parts are there. I was curious as to what you guy knew about them.

NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE BUT

JT
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 11:51 (1743 days ago) @ Paul lauer

I REMEMBER THE HERTER'S PRESS BEING TESTED AND EVALUATED BY "THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN." IT LASTED 12 ROUNDS BEFORE IT BROKE.

That's interesting

Paul lauer
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 12:39 (1743 days ago) @ JT

The thing seems to be built like a tank. As does the press and scale. What was it that broke?

Herters and Harbor Freight, no need to say more.

Woody
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 13:09 (1743 days ago) @ Paul lauer

- No text -

most of Harbor Freights stuff is China made, but if

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 13:15 (1743 days ago) @ Woody

you look closely most items sold by Home Depot, Sears, Lowes and others you will see Made In China on them too. A lot of the high dollar lathes, milling machines and other larger tools are also Made in Chine. Get used to it.

And back in Herter's day, in the late 60s and early 70s they didn't make anything. They imported them and had their name put on it, much like Cabelas does today. And back then we didn't have all the Chinese stuff coming in. Most of it was Jap made and people bitched about that back then too.

We use the name China Town instead of H.F. LOL

M Phillips
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 13:40 (1743 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

This is absolutely the TRUTH...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 13:40 (1743 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Amazes me how much they do. Lots of outsourced items imported to different retailers. Different names put on them and then sold. I would imagine a lot of name brand items come from the same plants as the cheaper items.

I hate to take up for the China made stuff, but

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 15:08 (1743 days ago) @ Huey

to be real honest we have 6 lathes and 3 large milling machines and probably every one of them, despite the American brand name on them, are Chinese made and those machines get used 6 days a week, 10 hours a day and I have probably had less than $500 in repair parts for them thru the years, and 3 or 4 of those lathes are going on 20 years old and 2 of the milling machines that build all our cylinders and barrels are at least 15 to 18 years old.

I'm old enough to remember folks bashing Toyota....

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 15:59 (1743 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

And many of the Japanese brands. Now, they are some of the most respected brands on the road.

I'm a Ford Man myself. By preference and fallout of the Obama B.S.

At the same time, both my tractors are Kubotaa and my SxS is a Honda. No better equipment made.

US Marine

Virgil
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 16:18 (1743 days ago) @ Huey

I buy American when possible.

Sid R
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 16:32 (1743 days ago) @ Huey

My Tundra is made in Texas. My atv and side by side are Polaris. I only own two foreign fire arms, a Glock and a Belgium light 12. I also won't buy French anything. When Hawker Beechcraft went bankrupt I wouldn't even go to work for Falcon Jet in Little Rock. Most arrogant disrespectful ungrateful sons of b-----s I ever had the displeasure to meet.

my Dad was at Pearl and in the Philippines

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 18:50 (1743 days ago) @ Huey

thru most of the war and he would never ever even look at a Jap car or truck. He was looking at buying a new pickup truck and my mom suggested the Datsun truck. His reply to that isn't printable.

I can't say I am a Ford man as I have had just about every brand there is. But I always have a Bronco sitting in the driveway.
[image]
I really enjoyed my BMW Z-3 but a small sports car that has 160 on the speedometer is too much of a temptation, and due to all our snow up here I could only drive it 4 months out of the year..
[image]

Right now we have the Bronco, a GMC Z71 truck,
[image]

a Ford Expedition,
[image]

a Nissan Armada that Colleen wanted and the new Nissan monster cargo type 15 passenger van. She uses it for all the dog shows she goes to all over the country and I use it for the HHC as I usually have 3 or 4 people ride with me to the hunt. But 5 vehicles for 2 people. Just doesn't really make a lot of sense but that is the American way of life....and if I just happened to find a good jeep CJ7 at a decent price.....I missed out on this one down in Phoenix by about an hour..
[image]

Not what I mean. HF and china industrial machinery are

Woody
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 17:56 (1743 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

not in the same class of quality. I like Grizzly equipment too and have some of their industrial woodworking machines, along with Powermatic(really high quality machines).

yep, one of my big mills and one of the lathes are Grizzly

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, July 28, 2019, 18:26 (1743 days ago) @ Woody

and are China made. But still good stuff.