Five guns in my collecting have hurt me.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 08:02 (1738 days ago)

When I was a kid I borrowed my Uncle's 1974 Contender 8-3/4" with hot shot choke/brake in .44 Magnum. I sheered off the 3X Lobo (which grazed my head at considerable velocity) and the screws left flush with the barrel. It stung my hand so bad with the wooden saw grip I had to lay it down after ever shot and fan my hand.

Of all things a Remington M788 in .308 actually blooded me and left a scar for a good while. Shooting off a truck hood I got loose on it and she bucked and the $25 Bushnell 3X9 made that crescent moon above my eyebrow. It looked like I was going to bleed to death for a while.

I'll lump these two together. I had a 1858 Remington SILE clone C&B .44 once. Christmas when I was 15. Out my bedroom back door was a Black-Jack Oak tree about 10 yds. distant. I once shot the fork of it and was repaid with a .44 ball to the leg almost instantly. It hit the glass door behind me and I was worried I broke it. Then I pondered did it go through my leg? Just a bruise. Another was a 1880's S&W Top Brake .38 S&W. I cut off some.38 Special cases and filled them with Pyrodex, topped with a 9mm 124 gr. cast bullet, they chambered OK. The old gun did not index but would lock in proper time if you manually rotated it. I stepped off about 10 paces from a target taped to a 3/4" sheet of damp plywood. BOOM! Fire, smoke, whack! Right in my chest, the slug bounced off the wood and then me too!

Of late I tested a Ruger LCR .38 Special. It was loaded with some +P 158 gr. JHP carry loads. 5 was about 3 more than I could stand. I'd not care to shoot one ever again. No thanks. Maybe a .32 or .22 WMR version.

Another rifle, a beautiful Ruger MKII Magnum in .416 Rigby. It was absolutely gorgeous. But then you picked it up and handled it. The thing was long, about an inch too long pull for me. Had all the handling character of a tomato stake. No recoil pad just a thin hard rubber pad. It just plain didn't fit me, I thought the stock design was too straight (the way recoil was imparted too). It had all the lines of a classic African hunting rifle in a fantastic caliber. The 400 gr. slug was running almost 2500 fps, with a somewhat sedate load in that huge case. I think the high velocity and not being able to hold it well is what hurt me so bad. I have no doubts you couldn't work up a safe loading with slow powders to near 3000 fps in that rig. But I'd be long dead from cerebral detachment. Instant headache. I sold the gun for a like caliber BRNO that fit perfectly, and had both a brake and proper recoil pad. I'd shoot about any big thing if it fit me proper and had an actual recoil pad, no Nayati's though.

Guns should be fun, not hurtful. I will take responsibility for most of the objections but they had to go.

In most of those incidents,

IC
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 08:28 (1738 days ago) @ WB

I don't think the gun was the problem.

LOL, surely true. A 2 lb. closed breach .44 Mag. is saucy!

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 09:11 (1738 days ago) @ IC

- No text -

a few years back we were selling Ruger #1 rifles in 585

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 17:02 (1737 days ago) @ WB

Nyati as quick as we could build them. I did most of the test firing with them (probably why I have 5 screws holding my right shoulder together right now). The 585 Nyati has over 10,000 lbs of energy. It shoots a 750 grain bullet at over 2500 fps. A 30-06 has 20 foot pounds of recoil while the Nyati has a bit over 180 foot pounds of recoil in a 10 lb rifle (about the same weight as a 30-06 with a scope on it). It uses 160 grains of powder and uses every grain. Back then I was wearing contacts and I had to take my contacts out as every shot would send my contacts flying out somewhere on the floor. My nose would bleed on and off for a full day and 2 or 3 of my teeth would be loose for a day or so. What fun!!

recoil

okie
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 17:51 (1737 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I had a .457 wild west magnum in the short guide gun style and it was flat brutal to shoot so I sent it down the road, its just a hopped up .45-70 but damn it kicked way worse than my .458 Winchester. I don't know but there's something about those straight gripped lever guns that seem worse than the pistol gripped ones.

.378 Weatherby

okie
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 19:56 (1737 days ago) @ okie

Has anyone ever touched a .378 Weatherby off? I've heard horror stories about it for years. I owned a .460 Weatherby at one time and it wasn't all that terrible but wasn't real fun either.

I had a Remington 700 BDL .375 Ultra Mag

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 20:02 (1737 days ago) @ okie

It didn't kill you but it was coming back 6" and there was nothing you could do about it, period. Thankfully it has about a 2" recoil pad on it but only weighed 7 lbs. I sold it to a fly fisherman in AK who needed a rifle to carry a lot and shoot a little, perfect!

recoil

okie
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 20:14 (1737 days ago) @ WB

yeah that's a great caliber for Alaska no doubt, I still hunt with an old BDL in 8mm magnum, had it for years and its pretty much overkill for anything I hunt but it works.

You need a bit more "ass".....

Woody
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 20:48 (1737 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

What is your current carry gun?

Randy C
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 09:13 (1738 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

LOL, loaded question. Several...

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:54 (1738 days ago) @ Randy C

Best answer; mostly a little Kahr P380 6+1-shot with a back up 7 shot mag. It is the size of an old .25 ACP and has REAL sights on it. It weighs about 12 oz. unloaded. I carry it in a pocket holster to church and various places where I do not feel really vulnerable. Wal-mart is about the most dangerous place I seldom go, but abductions and murders have happened at ours! My main serious carry gun is a Glock 30s 10 shooter. I replaced a fine Star PD like Gary has for the G30s. More ammo, less parts in the fire control and operation system, more sturdy. But it's the same exact size as a 15 shot G19. I like them and son Roman has one. I also carry a FN HP some and even my Beretta 92A1 with a suit coat. I feel tall in the saddle with them.

I am going to buy either a Kahr PM9 or PM40 soon. I have a P40 that is fantastic, same size as an old .32 Colt auto but 6+1 .40 cal with night sights! I think I might be able to replace the P380 with a full caliber gun. Seriously, a 9 or .40 the same size as the smallest .380! The .40's are dirt cheap but only 5+1. Probably why they bring less, that and they have to kick like a angry mule at only 17 oz. I know the PM9 would be a better choice at 15 oz. and 6+1 shots. The smallest and lightest, flattest, gun I have found. I like them, many don't. A free country. They list for $600-800 and I can buy them very lightly used for $300.

The best gun is the one you actually have with you when you need one. A .44 left in the car is not near as good as teeny NA arms derringer that is in your hand! Or hauling ass before it gets to that confrontational point.

I bought the SW- PC Shield 45 ACP , a little bigger

Sean Harper
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:39 (1738 days ago) @ WB

than your options but shoots real good and is 6+1.
Barrel length is 3.3". I worked up a good load for it that shoots very well at 10-15 yards.

Sean

The website I spoke of yesterday is fun

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:44 (1738 days ago) @ Sean Harper

to play with. They had a Shield 9mm which is close to the .45 in size. Comparing the Shield 9mm to the G30s that I have. It is fatter of course. The G30s is basically a G36 top on a G30 double stack bottom. The LA Drug task force were making their own Frankenstein guns and Glock got wind of it.

[image]

[image]

[image]

WB's EDC

Burban
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 20:07 (1737 days ago) @ WB

Several online retailers are offering the Kahr CW40 brand new for around $250 or less. The CW40 is a cheaper variant of your P40. Differences include: CW40 has traditional rifling vs polygonal and has a pinned vs dovetailed front sight.
The only issue I know of with the PM40/CM40 platform is with high-zoot ammo reciprocating the slide faster than the new rounds can be picked up. This isn't a knock on Kahr. It's an issue several micro semiautos suffer from. My micro MK9 Elite98 (all metal version of PM9/CM9) runs like a stapler.

Yep I bought a CW40 a while back.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 21:13 (1737 days ago) @ Burban

Sold it ($300 used with a second mag) and wanted another. For about the $50 less I bought an upgrade lightly used P40 this time. Ditto the P380 over the CW380. It had a laser which I sold off it for $100 and cleaned house. My biggest gripe is the CW front sight. Staked on plastic(?). If you dropped it I figure it might pop off. The machining is not quite as attractive on the CW too. Subtle things. Basically they are the same gun though. Fantastic control on the triggers and super accurate. The smaller and more powerful the gun the more subject to limp wristing issues.

I note the PM9 is about the same size as .380! I want to try one. I'm a little scared of the PM40. I may one day try a steel frame Kahr like you have. They look so well finished. A little chunky for pockets but flat and small.

If the 9 blows my dress up I may sell the .380.

Ouch

Shawn
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:40 (1738 days ago) @ WB

I’ve done #1 exc with a 10” bull barrel. And I have a 416 Rigby. Jury is still out on that one. Haven’t fired it yet.

Normally you could not load down such a big case

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:50 (1738 days ago) @ Shawn

such as the .416 Rigby. In fact you can make Rigby cases from .378/.460 Weatherby brass by turning off the belts in a lathe, necking and forming.

Trail Boss is one I know that will make it a wonderfully fun big bore plinker and useful medium game gun with loaded down ammo. The 350 gr. is a useful bullet too. On the flip side, in a sound modern gun, it can be loaded much hotter than the old early 1900 specs. Enough to clap your shoulder blades. It's much worse to me than a .375 H&H or a .458 Win., a faster sharper jab. Forget the .458 Lott, not me.

Magnums in an M&P 340 did me in. . .The advances

ChrisG
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:35 (1738 days ago) @ WB

in metallurgy have outpaced anatomy. . .

for me ...hot loaded but under Garys reloading data max,

Lynn
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 14:11 (1738 days ago) @ WB

500 gnr and 370gr grain bullets... never again. The worst long gun was a 3.5" 12 gauge Mossberg. Two shots and I said " I would rather be eaten than shoot that thing... never again. but never had a bullet "return to sender address unknown..."

Another fair warning about come-back shots!

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 15:34 (1737 days ago) @ Lynn

We had (3) 55 gal. drums filled with sand for a very effective backstop. The distance was exactly 33 yds. so when doing scope "clicks" whatever it was to move it at 100 yds. you simply multiply it X3.

However, we shot it with some smaller shotgun "birdshot" and got peppered but good. The pellets sounded off on the barn tin quite spectacularly. Stung a little too. More so than getting peppered from 100 yds. dove hunting. We didn't do that again! Hate to get it in the eye, it would really smart.

That is Industrial plastic drums, not steel.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 15:36 (1737 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Ithaca 37 featherweight with a federal ounce and a quarter

Drdougrx
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 16:02 (1737 days ago) @ WB

2 3/4 inch magnum ... beat the living crap outa me. Also, my Ult Blk Widow 5.5” 475 linbaugh...I just HAD to see what a max load of h110 under a 370gr hardcast....YIKES!!!

Garys BMF in 500 S&W and a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott...hurts!

Woody
[subject]
Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 16:43 (1737 days ago) @ Drdougrx

- No text -