Gary said Start here for advice Want an Opinion on Caliber

Adam T
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 17:35 (1778 days ago)

I want to order my first Reeder Custom revolver and I am having trouble on caliber selection, Pictured below is the goal of the custom build (3.75" BBL, Banded front sight, not yet sure on grips and caliber no sling swivel). I love my 45 LC's and this revolver is the first of what I hope to be many. This project is to make a shorty bisley and I was going to go 44mag just because that was the host caliber, but I have been informed that as this is a full project I can pick any caliber. My first choice would be 45LC, 2nd 41 mag, 3rd 44 special. This is a gun I want as my woods baby. I love my 45's but have always wanted a 41, and have no single action 44 specials. Any feedback based on this project being a short barreled Bisley? Gun Fighter or Magnum frame? as well as ballistic efficiency. I also reload but have very little experience in the GNR Cartridges. Any input prior to order would be greatly appreciated.[image]

What will the gun be used for?

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 17:40 (1778 days ago) @ Adam T

And what gun will be used as a base gun? Blackhawk? Midframe Flattop? Etc..

also what kind of loads? Hot, medium, hunting?

Charlie Anderson`
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 17:47 (1778 days ago) @ Huey

- No text -

Loads

Asam T
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 18:27 (1778 days ago) @ Charlie Anderson`

This will not be used for anything more than being on my side in the woods, in south Florida, will not be a primary hunting weapon, I shoot quite a bit with my two daughters who enjoy steel plate shooting, and I just really have always wanted a pocket cannon with a short barrel but throwing lead and a fireball is not really necessary when you are only using half your powder. In general I will always handload heaviest bullet offering and work my way into accuracy, then downsize as needed for recoil. But in comparison my favorite Stock ruger is a 3.75" Bisley BH convertible 45acp/45lc and I am loading H110 with 21-23.5 grains anywhere from a 330-360grain bullet. This revolver will be a brother to the stock gun, not sure I have real purpose other than I really want it.

470 or 510gnr

Steve
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 18:36 (1778 days ago) @ Asam T

- No text -

429 GNR would be my choice

MTH
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 19:31 (1778 days ago) @ Asam T

- No text -

You don't need any other reason!!!! I've built or bought 26.

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, June 13, 2019, 03:21 (1778 days ago) @ Asam T

Reeder Revolvers. You plan to shorten your 44 Magnum has real merit since you already have a similar example in 45 Colt. That's the way I'd lean, but it's your gun.

That being said, the 45 Colt is an unbeatable cartride. Gary could easily rechamber your 44 Magnum cylinder and build you a great packing revolver. For up close and personal encounters, I prefer more frontal diameter.

Both cartridges are classics and neither has anything left to prove.

Woods carry revolver

stonecold
[subject]
Thursday, June 13, 2019, 05:00 (1778 days ago) @ Huey

[image]

My woods carry revolver is the bottom one in this picture. It is Gary's Backpacker. Lightweight, barrel under 4 inches, Gary's improved front sight, 45 Colt. This one gets carried a lot. It has accounted for about a half dozen whitetails and several hogs. It is just there when I need it and is about as good as it gets. Same revolver in all steel would be nice as well.

Base Gun

Adam T
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 18:36 (1778 days ago) @ Huey

I am going to sacrifice my NM SBH 10.5" 44 mag. The original concept was to keep the heavy barrel and shorten, with grip & Triger Gaurd mods, ejector housing and hammer a full redo is at hand. I guess this is allowing caliber conversion at not a significant price increase. The three pics below are what I envision, start gun #1. Finished (Dream) gun # 2, and gun (Finish desired) # 3. Now I need to come up with a caliber choice and I am off to the races. [image][image][image]

Adam

Sid R
[subject]
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 20:11 (1778 days ago) @ Adam T

I am no expert but I have two of Mr. Reeder's fine Revolvers. I have a .45 colt Vaquero Bisley and a 41 GNR SBH. That being said I use the GNR for hunting (7 1/2" barrel). The 45 is my fun gun, as Gary would say "BBQ gun". .41 is my favorite caliber so I compromised and got the 41 and don't regret it. I had a hard time between that and the .429 GNR. That .41 GNR will take care of anything you should encounter from bears, hogs, pigs or pythons.

I have been a 45LC fan from my very first revolver

Blake
[subject]
Thursday, June 13, 2019, 04:15 (1778 days ago) @ Adam T

That being said I have converted to a 41 fan in my old age. So I say go with a 41 rem mag and about a 4” barrel and think of a trailrider Gripframe on that Bisley. A 6 shot fluted cylinder, makings for a great woods companion

My trailrider 410GNR is not much bigger than my 250 GNR Hellcat
[image]

My next Reeder is gonna be

Grover Sr
[subject]
Thursday, June 13, 2019, 11:21 (1778 days ago) @ Adam T

A dual cylinder, 429GNR/44 mag. It is gonna be more than adequate for anything I might run across here in the Southeast. My primary woods revolver will be my 356 GNR.it also is gonna have a 357 cylinder.