That'll teach me!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, May 18, 2019, 15:24 (1804 days ago)

I was cleaning brass today and had run a batch of .357's through the cleaner and tumbler. As I was depriming them, on the down stroke of the loading press handle I felt "grit" and heard a POP!

Lifted the handle back up and found this:

[image]

Looked at the depriming die and of course the decapping pin was broken off.

Then I looked into the cartridge and saw this:

[image]

This was some of the brass I had picked up on the range. It had a nice little rock wedged in it! And no, I had not checked them.

~sigh~

I have plenty of spare parts and had it going again soon. But you know, I should have caught that.

We all miss things.

IC
[subject]
Saturday, May 18, 2019, 16:17 (1804 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

My buddy had accidently chambered a

Derek
[subject]
Saturday, May 18, 2019, 18:47 (1803 days ago) @ IC

270 Win in his 7mm rem mag yesterday, came out of a new box of Federal ammo. He had shot twice then the third time was just a click. Tried again and same thing, bolt wouldnt pull it out of chamber, was like hmmm whats going on here. Glad it wasnt headspaced enough to fire, another reminder to double check and re check again.

Oops

ChrisG
[subject]
Saturday, May 18, 2019, 16:59 (1804 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

every once in a while I will miss a 10mm case in a 44 mag

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, May 18, 2019, 19:15 (1803 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

and when I feel a slight bit of resistance I stop and check it. This is on a Dillon which can really screw up the timing and such. I stop and take all the brass out of the machine, empty the case with powder in it and start all over. It is a pain but it does happen. A 9mm case in a 10mm happens too.

The .357 MCUNHVTRPF!

Marco
[subject]
Sunday, May 19, 2019, 03:26 (1803 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Our newest wildcat cartridge: the Mid Case Ultimate Nominal Headspace Variable Twist Rate Pin Fire.

"This is a very easy cartridge to load. Works best when chambered in a revolver that hasn't been designed yet. The key is having small pieces of quartz as an under powder wad and a supply of decapping pins. Very economical to shoot, it uses 1/4 the powder of a .38 Short Colt. It will easily put a 110 grain, soft lead, conical, heel based bullet to 123.6 feet per second. It is a great cartridge that produces no recoil and is capable of taking back forty critters from chihuahua up to large tomcats. We recently did testing in Arkansas s on 2-6 pound animals and it took them in 3 to 4 shots in every case. Ralph Fitzengabber took a cow possum with one shot, but this should be attempted only when a second hunter is available to act as back up. I think once we get the kinks worked out it'll be a daisy! "

Now you know,

IC
[subject]
Sunday, May 19, 2019, 06:13 (1803 days ago) @ Marco

WB will have to have one to see if something other than quartz can be used.

That a good one! I deprime lots of Spiders.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, May 19, 2019, 06:34 (1803 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Tumbler media is a PITA, I use hard white rice

Rsim
[subject]
Sunday, May 19, 2019, 10:38 (1803 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

and fixed the problem. Thought sure I broke a pin on some walnut shell media that got wedged in the flash hole, got lucky, just bent a bit, easy fix.