Al Georg scopes

Robt
[subject]
Monday, April 15, 2019, 18:28 (1837 days ago)

Gary, in the photos you posted of Al Georg What type of scopes were shown? Could these been some type of modified riflescope. I am not familiar with handgun scopes from this era in fact I've not read much about any type of handgun hunting at all for big game during this time period.

They were rifle scopes that he sent

JB
[subject]
Monday, April 15, 2019, 18:45 (1837 days ago) @ Robt

somewhere to have the eye relief extended, though doing so eliminated most of the magnification

Like JB said he would send a rifle scope

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, April 15, 2019, 20:03 (1837 days ago) @ JB

to a fellow in Washington state and he would convert it to a long eye relief, but whatever the power of the scope was it cut it in half. This was later on. Earlier on Al used a 1X or 2X rifle scope and with this low power he could get close to the eyepiece and then slowly back off to the distant where it wouldn't hit him in the face. This cut down the field of view thru the scope to about half but it was a lot better than nothing.

I had a straight 8X Redfield rifle scope that I put on an XP-100 in 224 Weatherby and I could get close to where I could spot the groundhog, then back off. It wasn't great but a lot better than the only pistol scope on the market which was a Bushnell Phantom at 1.3X.

Thanks

Robt
[subject]
Monday, April 15, 2019, 21:05 (1837 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Thanks for the replies. I guess making suitable scope mounted bases created its own problem especially on the hard kickers. All of the recent discussion about Al Georg has encouraged me to research more information about him. I had always admired Bob Milek’s writing and hunting style with handguns. So sad neither of these men are still around to influence thandgun hunters today.

all you need to do is watch Amazon for Goerg's book

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, April 15, 2019, 22:13 (1837 days ago) @ Robt

Pioneering Handgun Hunting. That will answer all your questions.

Also Goerg didn't have any problems with mounts or hard kicking handguns. The 44 Magnum was the only big bore around then and the factory loads were pretty mediocre. And he used a Weaver 1X scope and Weaver mount and rings. He afro engineered a special mount for the scope putting 2 Weaver rifle bases on the barrel. He believed the scope should be on the barrel and not on the frame.
[image]

He liked the S&Ws of the day, using 2 Model 29 44 Magnums and a modified 22 LR to shoot a slightly shorter 22 Hornet which he took 2 bears in one day with. He used a Ruger single shot Hawkeye in 256 Magnum to take several animals including a Caribou.
[image]
And some Caiman in South America.
[image]
Along with lots of game animals here in the states with his 44 Magnum.
[image]

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]