240 Raptor

Paul
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 09:47 (1862 days ago)

Just got one from a Misfit. Small rifle primers OR small rifle Magnum primers?

according to the powder you are using. If you

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 10:04 (1862 days ago) @ Paul

are using a ball powder then a magnum primer is always best, but you might have a hard time finding small rifle magnum primers. I think only one company makes them. You might try magnum small pistol primers instead. For standard rifle powder the regular small rifle primers are fine.

4198 and 4895

Paul
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 10:08 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

are the powders I will be using.

you can get away with the standard small rifle primers

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 10:13 (1862 days ago) @ Paul

- No text -

Back during the "Primer Shortage" when it first

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 12:36 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

developed, the .240 Raptor, I sourced some CCI Small Rifle caps. But using old 6mm TCU data I began getting "cupping" or "primer extrusion". That is the primer metal beginning to flow into the firing pin hole, creating a raised lip around the firing pin indentation. Typically this means very high pressures. But I new this should not be as the capacity of the data I was using was much less than the more capacious .240 Raptor. Sean told me he had an issue or two and it went away. I began trying different primers as I could find them. Finally I got hold of some wonderful Remington #7-1/2 small rifle Bench Rest primers. Boy they got things in line. I was able to do realistic load development with true progressive results. I sort of hoard them for special ctgs. such as the Raptor now. If you can find any they are truly special. Since then I have tried another lot of CCI SR and had no problems. I'd not want to blight a reputation on one speculative case but that is my odd experience and it has not repeated itself.

in the "Great Primer Shortage of 2013" or somewhere

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:48 (1862 days ago) @ WB

along in there a lot of old primers came out of closets and safes. I put a sign up in our gun shop that I would buy primers. I had one old fellow bring in some old Remington primers that came in the little wooden cartons. These were the OLD primers that were rounded instead of being flat on the face. They were for sure corrosive. I started not to buy them from the old fellow but he looked like he could use the money so I bought them. I still have them at the house. I gave a few of the boxes to a collector or two. He also brought in some Remington bullets that had the caliber hand written on the box from the factory. Not sure at all when they would have been made.
[image]
[image]
[image]

A lot of strange stuff came out of the woodwork back then. Back 50 or 60 years ago or more old guys liked to put bullets in snuff cans and such rather than the factory boxes. I got a batch of unusual bronze tip 25 caliber bullets in a powder puff box.No idea who made them. I loaded some of them up hot in a 257 Raptor and knocked a big Watusi cow down at the HHC. She struggled to get back up on her feet so I finished her with the 429 GNR. But if my bullet placement had been a bit better she would have dropped for good to that little bronze tip 25 caliber bullet.
[image]
[image]

And if you thought today's reloading benches look like a cobbled together mess, take a look at a gun writer's bench back in the late 1940s.
[image]

That's good stuff Gary.

Sid R
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 20:38 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I used small rifle

Paul
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:50 (1862 days ago) @ WB

when I had your barrel Scotty, but did not record the loads. I've loaded 10 for FF and test with 100gr Speer and 4895. Will try them tomorrow and see what happens. I do have some 7 1/2's I may try next time.

CCI makes them

Blake
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:50 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I use WSR: Win. Small Rifle

Rsim
[subject]
Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 10:04 (1862 days ago) @ Paul

- No text -