I figure Irv or others might know...

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:54 (1866 days ago)

what type of 9x19mm ammo does the military generally use? Doug was issued some truncated cone FMJ once (forget where he was abroad - Army, I think) that I saw in a pic. I have a supply of 124 gr. JRN but saw some bulk pack 147 gr. Truncated that looked interesting to me. My HP would really like them. Wondering if they were an over run or something else, an odd selection.

You have what was normally used when I retired.

IC
[subject]
Thursday, March 14, 2019, 14:34 (1866 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Military contracts and supplies are

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 14, 2019, 18:29 (1866 days ago) @ IC

interesting. As are the things that end up in play. In may military "movies" there is always a dedicated scrounge who comes up with optional things needed and greatly appreciated.

Out of necessity I am looking into varied FMJ utility ammo and it's performance. Thank goodness the ammo is getting very reasonable in price.

More than once,

IC
[subject]
Thursday, March 14, 2019, 19:07 (1866 days ago) @ WB

I told a CO not to ask.

many years ago when I was at the radio station across

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, March 15, 2019, 16:52 (1865 days ago) @ IC

from Ft. Campbell a good friend 1st Sargent would call me at the station and tell me to come by Gate 14 at the rear of the post when I got off the air and we would shoot a bit. He had just got back from a training exercise and had a Jeep full of all kinds of ammo. They weren't allowed to sign the ammo back in so he had to dispose of it somehow, which meant he and I would spend all afternoon shooting 9mm, 45 ACP, 308, 12 gauge and whatever else they had used in the training session. The good old days.

I've read

IC
[subject]
Thursday, March 14, 2019, 14:47 (1866 days ago) @ WB

that Winchester will be making ammo for the SIG pistol as part of the contract. They are going to make both ball and HP. Who knows what Doug might have been issued in a combat zone. I've had the experience of being told by the powers to be that something wasn't available in theatre, but I knew it was there. A little dealing with the SPEC OPS guys and we had it. You never can tell.

9MM ammo

LARRY FRY
[subject]
Saturday, March 16, 2019, 09:59 (1865 days ago) @ WB

147 grain tungsten cored ball