First time in a public indoor shooting range with the 41GNR

Rsim
[subject]
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 14:03 (1864 days ago)

Montana Hunter. Had some older handloads that I needed to fireform to the cylinder chambers, shoulder is much sharper than the initial die-formed unfired brass.

The 9mm's and 45ACP's were banging away, brass was flying everywhere until I touched off the 41GNR Montana Hunter...amazing how all got quiet. Shot again and heard a few "Holy Hell's" and whole lot of loud whispers. A couple shooters packed and left, not sure why...I guess S. Venice, FL isn't used to GNR's wildcats. Anyway, after 50 rds. at 25ft. I got some blank stares when I exited out in the gunshop.

when the Reeder clan used to go to the real nice outdoor

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 15:07 (1864 days ago) @ Rsim

range in Sarasota the older range master would put us all the down on the left hand side away from most of the other shooters. We would use the range to test out the new cartridges we were working on. One time when we got there he walked us down to the left side and there was an older fellow there shooting his 22 pistol one handed like the old farts do. The range master asked him to move about 10 feet further down away from us. The old goat bitched about being moved and asked why he had to move. The range master told him it was so he didn't get blood on him. The old fellow moved.

The blood comment was sort of a running joke there as there had been times when we were testing new stuff out and ended up with a little blood on either us or the guns. Our 450 GNR, 416 GNR, 375 GNR#2 and one or two others during the testing ended up causing a tiny bit of blood here and there. In the testing we had to run the loads hot and hotter to find where maximum was, and that sometimes resulted in some bloody knuckles or small cuts from pieces of cases flying back at us.

One time when we were trying out the 9.3 X 74 in a Contender the gun opened up, the case split about a half inch from the base, the piece of brass flew back and stuck in my forehead, resulting in a little blood. I wiped the blood off and thought we needed to try one more. I figured maybe it was just a bad case. This time the gun again opened up and again the case split at the web, sending it flying back at me. This time instead of cutting my forehead it hit base first and stuck,burning the 9.3 X 74 caliber into my forehead. Kase kidded me for a week about that. We gave up on that cartridge with factory ammo in a Contender. I used it in Africa later using the milder 9.3 X 72 loading data and it did fine.

I have been asked to move to the rifle ranges

Amede
[subject]
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 15:40 (1864 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

several times. Especially with a Reeder 45-70 barrel on my Contender, the DW 445 Supermag and recently the Blackhawk 321 GNR.

I was showing some people at the range my 8mmGNR Encore

Howard
[subject]
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 18:46 (1864 days ago) @ Amede

one of the guys said 'I wouldn't shoot that in a rifle.' I'm a medium-small sized guy. I always tell them, hey it's a 4.5 lb. gun, recoil is straight back, I know it's not going to hit me, probably a 357 snub has worse recoil.

Yep, my 475L GNR custom SA had the same effect

Rsim
[subject]
Thursday, March 14, 2019, 05:42 (1864 days ago) @ Howard

- No text -

41GNR

SDD
[subject]
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 16:25 (1864 days ago) @ Rsim

When Gary was in Sarasota, he rechambered a Dan Wesson 41 mag to 41GNR and after completing the fire forming loads I loaded up some of the 170gr Sierra JHP's and stopped at an indoor range in Palmetto Florida as I was friends with the owner and he thought I was crazy since I loved shooting big guns namely a Desert Eagle in 44 mag with full power 250gr loads (HUGE FIREBALL every shot..) so on this day he asked if I had the DE and I told him I had something better, as there was someone
That thought he was a speed shooter with his 45acp (looking at his target it looked like a shotgun shot it and it was only 10-12 feet down range.) So the owner set me up in the next lane to the guy and said if I could get him to leave he would cover the range fees that day. So I proceeded to load up the 41GNR with the 6" barrel installed fired a round when the guy started shooting and he shot the target hanger. He replaced it and on the next round of shooting I finished the other 5 rounds and noticed the speed demon was gone, he didn't even say goodbye to either me or the owner.

Hell of shockwave, the 170's were the worst,

Rsim
[subject]
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 16:42 (1864 days ago) @ SDD

huge fireball (range was dimly lit) and a much sharper CRACK instead of the BANG of the 210XTP's.