Shooting in Bad Weather

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 09:53 (1882 days ago)

Since Gary sent the weather our way it has turned off cool and rainy. But to counter the poor weather I have a small indoor range in the shop. The .22 Bullet Trap is set in a small alcove I built that has enough wood around it to stop a bullet that misses the trap ... if that ever happens. The shop is 90 by 45 .. I can get 40 feet at this angle. It functions just fine for working on sight alignment/trigger squeeze.

[image]

Nice setup

Leadhound
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 10:25 (1882 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Have seen people for centerfire use wax bullets for indoor use, when I was young dad would use the plastic bullets from speer, set off with just a primer, hang a tin an in front of a heavy blanket for backstop. They will penetrate a light closet door, trust me...

I shot a wax bullet through 1" of oak

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 10:41 (1882 days ago) @ Leadhound

'course it had 10 grains of Bullseye behind it ...

LOL! I heard folks using oak turned bullets and clocking

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 10:58 (1882 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

crazy velocities. I figure they shoot pretty wild though, some blanks used wood bullets. The hot glue sounds fun! I have it on good report that chilled marshmallows can ricochet wildly. Not that anyone would think to make a SCUBA powered launcher....

wax bullets and penetration

AKRay
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 14:23 (1881 days ago) @ WB

When I was in my early teens, I melted candle wax into a cut down shotgun hull with a live primer in it until I figured I had enough to make a good shootable slug. When I shot it it went through my target and put a nice 20 gauge sized dent in a sheetrock wall, and it was an old kind of sheetrock from the 50s or 60s. I'm glad I didn't test it out on the dog instead.

Hey Scotty, found this

Leadhound
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 16:26 (1881 days ago) @ WB

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/playing-with-hot-glue-bullets.834816/

Here's a link for an example, I read about this a decade ago, now everyone seems to be doin it, there is also a link in it for wax bullet recipe.

Have seen hot glue used to cast ones own as well

Leadhound
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 10:46 (1882 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Shot the old Speer plastic bullets

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 10:52 (1882 days ago) @ Leadhound

powdered by the primer. They were fun. Shooting them with a fairly heavy change of Bullseye is a little hard on them though.

I used the rubber bullets

steve todd
[subject]
Friday, February 22, 2019, 12:49 (1881 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Too much damage with the plastic bullets, i never used powder with them.
A friend of mine got in trouble (from his wife) using a blabk powder revolver, with black powder behind a rubber bullet. He shot a family photograph and ruined the frame, plus smoked up the inside of his house.