10mm Backpacker arrived

OGS
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 18:13 (1871 days ago)

Received Mr Faiths backpacker today. To say it exceeded my expectations is an understatement. I never saw a pic of the other side of the gun with the the scalloped loading gate or the feather and all the other engraving. Going to leave his initial and last name on it. I like it.
[image]

To make it even better, he sent a

OGS
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 18:28 (1871 days ago) @ OGS

Simply Rugged holster that I wasn’t expecting.
Wore it the rest of the day at work.
[image]

[image]

Rob Leahy made those for us. For the Y-O

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 19:59 (1871 days ago) @ OGS

SCI Club fundraiser, his donations! He's a great fellow and friend of Gary's too. Doug got it there and I later commissioned Rob to mod mine to test some ideas on that "Sourdough" platform. Doug's not much of a storyteller and I likely make too much from nothing. The guns (there are two) have a little story behind them. Doug and I always try to out-do or wow each other. It's a fun little game we've always done. My ideas have predictable limits of practicality and flash, although they may push things. Doug, I'm still trying to figure him out.

We got hold of two Old Model .357's and decided to do custom all round carry guns, legal to use as primary for med. game, in our home state of Ark. Used to be they had to be .357 cal. or larger and 4" minimum bbl. length. Plus full length ejector housings for ease of use. The law changed now but that was the idea, and our parameters for design. We hid the details from each other and let Gary work. I did a very festooned and flashy El Diablo .44 Spec. and Doug did the classy subdued Backpacker in of all things 10mm Auto! I did not see that coming. I was instantly jealous of his more humble matte Chromex beauty. He outdid me in the surprise factor. The 10mm SA actually works great and gives all the power you might need. We both decided to keep the alloy gripframes for light weight but have them "Gunfightered". We spent a whole bunch of money on those, base guns were about $350 and you know the rest...

[image]

Doug used his on a few back up hunting shots. Things often go sideways on a hunt and having something instantly ready is paramount. He finished the Stawberry TX Ram poorly hit but featured in Gary's Load manual. It was a bit of a chase. He also finished a Corsican Ram at the Y-O with it. I have shot it a bunch and had an easy time loading for it. Just don't try to crimp the cases! You can flare them for bullet seating but only turn the brass back straight in, don't try to crimp really. You will find this very acceptable and with even heavy 200 gr. loads bullet tension in the case is more than adequate. Longshot is my powder of choice and AA#7 is good too.

[image]

[image]

The two "Buddy Guns" were quite the contrast, much like Doug and myself. Mine was sort of like Porter Wagner, prissy, but smooth and very good! I took a large wild dog with it once. Running in a pack (3) one was aggressive to me and the guys at work. A 200 gr. JHP stopped that. The other two dogs hung around a couple days. THEY ATE the one I shot!!! I later took a Four Horn Jacob's Ram with my .44 bellygun when opportunity fell in my lap. I also took it on a 4000 mile car trip in my Kangaroo undergarment holster rig. A real twist on the McCloud style CCW but it fills the bill and would be a serious threat to contend with. The guns truly have a use as a fine companion piece and if there when needed, they flat perform. NOBODY has one like it, anywhere!

[image]

Enjoy that special gun. Gary has a saying "it's only a gun" but that is my point too. Some guns have a story, memories, a back-story of origin. Now it's your turn to make some memories.

This pic is NOT one of mine but I saved it

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 20:21 (1871 days ago) @ WB

as I did something very close. It shows "conceptually" what an advanced loader can work up to. Note how he has those bullets seated way out adding case capacity and lowering pressures. Basically seating them out closer to 10mm Magnum length OAL. Sort of an ugly, hot loaded, .40 Special. This is a learned trick one can use to one's advantage.

You have to make sure the throats will handle the bullets fitting in them. Huey and I do weird stuff like this all the time. We work up to it and get unusual performance very safely. Nobody is going to get them mixed and use them in something else, unintended for the special ammo.

[image]

Sort of an ugly? never shoot ugly bullets :)

Lynn
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 06:26 (1871 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Okay I'll say it, If you want 10mm performance

Darryl T.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 07:13 (1871 days ago) @ WB

Why not just get a 10mm cylinder?

dual cylinders are not always the best way to go. In most

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:59 (1871 days ago) @ Darryl T.

cases when you change cylinders you have to re-sight the gun in as very seldom do both calibers shoot to the same point of aim. We did a dual cylinder a while back for a fellow in 454 Casull and 45 ACP. I tried to talk him out of it but he had to have it. He called back later and said he didn't even shoot one of the cylinders as he had to completely re-sight the gun in every time he shot it. So dual cylinders may sound good but they can be more of a pain in the butt than a single cylinder.

BEAUTIFUL GUN, NICE RAM BUT

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 13:33 (1871 days ago) @ WB

THAT HAT!?!?!?!?!?!?

he borrowed it from his daughter's halloween outfit

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 14:11 (1871 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

Bear gave me that hat! It’s lucky, no one has

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 17:32 (1871 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Ever tried to swipe it either. Lol. Blake’s python hunting hat was my pick for max. Swagger!

Thanks for the rest of the story on these

OGS
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 16:49 (1871 days ago) @ WB

ill save all this info for future reference

backpacker

okie
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 18:43 (1871 days ago) @ OGS

really like the 2-tone on it with the black grips!

Glad it found a good home!

Df
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 06:14 (1871 days ago) @ OGS

- No text -