Something I have wondered about

JT
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:32 (1863 days ago)

Especially as I approach my 80th birthday in less than three months. Every time Gary says "An Old Gentleman" brought in items for sale I wonder just how old is the qualification for old gentleman.

My friends dad lives in Portugal and

John W
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:41 (1863 days ago) @ JT

still builds stone walls. He is eighty one. I suspect much of it is how you feel and what your health level is at.

I hunted with an older gentleman when I first got to Montana

Lymey
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 17:02 (1862 days ago) @ John W

We had walked a couple miles behind a closed gate looking for elk. He said he wanted to stop and let his body catch up with his mind. Out of curiosity, I asked him how old he was and he told me that he would be 82 in January. I would have never guessed him to be that old.

My boss will be 95 in three weeks...

Huey
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:41 (1863 days ago) @ JT

And going stong. Just rode with me on sea trials. No small feat on a 40 knot boat.

I have seen some old guys who were years younger than me.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:49 (1862 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

You have to obtain the rank of Gentleman first!

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:55 (1862 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Oh well .. that wasn't one of my goals anyway.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 16:03 (1862 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

that gentleman stuff isn't all that it is cracked up to be

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 16:40 (1862 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

I gave up trying to guess someone's age

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 16:34 (1862 days ago) @ JT

I have older men come in that I would guess their age at mid 80s due to them moaning and groaning and talking about their many ills and find out they are only in their mid 60s. But they have talked themselves into believing they are "old men" and that is it.

I have a couple of health problems but I will be damned if I will whine and make other people uncomfortable with my problems. Yesterday it was 30 degrees with sunshine but a biting cold wind in the upper 40 mph range but I forced myself to get out and split about half a cord of wood. I didn't want to do it but I look at it as a challenge. There have been times that I would give WB's left nut just to take a nap on a cold winter afternoon. But I can't do that. That is giving in and I won't do that.

So old age is, for the most part, what you allow yourself to be tied down to. I respect John Taffin, who in his mid 70s still goes hunting Buffalo and Elk instead of sitting on his duff watching TV. I respect Jim Taylor who, in his 60s sold everything and traveled halfway around the world to take on Africa. Neither of these men were forced to do this. They could have sat on their butts in a warm house watching football games but they didn't give up.

At almost 90 my Dad still got out every day and did things around the place. I can't remember seeing him sitting on the couch when he could be outside doing something. When he was in his early 70s he and I would go hunting even on the coldest days rather than stay inside where it was warm. Sometimes when it was below zero and we were waiting for some ducks to come in to our local lake, he would look at me sitting there beside his and ask, "not ready to give up, are you?" Even though I was freezing my butt off I was damned if I would let him see me give up.

So I try my best to be like my old man and not give up. Kase and I hunt a lot together and there are times when I would love to tell him, "go ahead, I will stick around the house", but I can't do that. It is hard sometimes when the joints are stiff and painful but if I am lucky I will live to be like one of those "old gentlemen" that come into the shop. They are stooped and walking slow but they haven't given up. They are sort of my heroes.

very good Gary, me too.

Charlie Anderson`
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 17:18 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Charlie, I still have a bucket list of things I

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 17:27 (1862 days ago) @ Charlie Anderson`

want to do before I get to the "old gentleman" stage. I want to go to Africa one more time, hopefully in 2020. There are still one or two African animals I want to take. I want to go back to Alaska one more time for bear. I want to do at least a couple more HHCs maybe for a bigger bull elk with that special one of a kind S&W in 410 GNR we built. I would love to see a grandson if I could get Kase to stay with one lady more than 2 days. And there are probably more on that bucket list, but I have been blessed so much so far I can't be greedy.

I will be 75 in July and still get out and

Larry Fry
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 17:29 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

go hunting when I don't have to care for the wife. She has had her knee replaced now and is starting to walk around with a cane and sometimes without it. I guess I will miss this season but expect to be at the HHC in October God willing. I will go fishing this spring though, the Bass ought to be on the beds soon and catching a big one is a lot of fun especially when with Son and grandsons. Even a small shell cracker is fun with the kids along! Getting old sucks because we have to be more careful not to injure ourselves because it takes so long to heal that we can miss out on things we want to do. If if hurts, work around it, if it doesn't, what season is it??? There is always something to do.

gary, I also agree on John Taffin and Jim Taylor. Men to

Charlie Anderson`
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 17:35 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

look up to.

Absolutely.

SPB
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 20:41 (1862 days ago) @ Charlie Anderson`

- No text -

WAYNE BAKER DROVE UP

JT
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 18:46 (1862 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

FROM STAR VALLEY TO VISIT LAST WEEK--HE IS 94

Wow. I had heard through the grapevine that he passed

Steve W
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 08:32 (1862 days ago) @ JT

Glad to hear it ain't so. I met him at the Denver gun show back in 2012. He was the highest energy person at the Freedom Arms table, and that isn't because everyone else was asleep!

GRAPEVINE IS ABOUT AS RELIABLE AS

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 13:16 (1862 days ago) @ Steve W

NETWORK NEWS

Was this posted by the real JT?

Steve
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 16:35 (1862 days ago) @ JT

The real JT would use all caps. Just busting some chops, no ill intentions here.