Doug's African Rifle, new scope and sighting

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 10:00 (1901 days ago)

Doug has one trip under his belt and came back to change one item on his R8 rig. He wanted a little more magnification to make longer shots easier. The 2.5-10X Zeiss was replaced by a 4.5-14X Leupold. The Blaser mount really works, repeating a return to zero after on and off, crafty Germans. The company began in 1957 making Drillings, 3-barrel shotgun/rifle combos.

The caliber is 9.3x62 Mauser, sort of a Euro .35 Whelen or vice versa if that helps. Typically you get two bullet choices in weight and they claim both shoot to the same POA. Historically a 286 gr. is the heavyweight and Doug even has flat point solids. The other one we all liked was the Nosler offering with a 250 gr. Accubond bullet. I like them better than

[image]

Last we clocked some other Euro brand ammo the 286 gr ran about 2400 fps. So I figure the 250's at possibly 2600? Not eye popping but if it worked 100 yrs. ago why not now with superior bullet tech we have today? A guy could do a lot worse.

[image]

One experiment Roman fired a sighting round at 100 yds. with one ammo wt. and I shot two; one 286 and one 250 gr. Mine were very close, as close as I can hold and right n there with Roman's. I guess it proves the trajectory is very close with both weights. Gary covers a rimmed version for Handgun hunting and I like the 9.3. I'm not ditching my .378 GNR but the 9.3 is an interesting alternative. A 9.3 Mauser rimless extra barrel for my FA2008 might be a world beater in a pinch; Dreams.

BTW I like shooting at targets with no "bullseye" not many critters have them. It freaks Doug out though. lol
[image]

I'm glad to see the old 9.3s and 405s headed east...

Huey
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 10:14 (1901 days ago) @ WB

Worked 100+ years ago, still working now...

Every Accubond, no matter caliber I pull from

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 10:32 (1901 days ago) @ Huey

my sand drum backstop, it's mushroomed back like that in a uniform manner. They are pretty hard jackets, you have to punt them out pretty smartly, but they give very good performance from what I can tell. Doug has taken game with them (6.5x55 130 gr) but I have only one, a Stag with a 260/.375. I have confidence in them. Doug said his PH preferred them over the Partition that he thought had a too soft nose.

PHs all had different input. We had best success with...

Huey
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 10:50 (1901 days ago) @ WB

ACP Bullets. Very Similar to Barnes X-Bullets best I can tell.

They are pricy, but insignificant for an African Hunt.

50 Bullets for Daren's 303 British was close to $70. But, even our PH with major "Magnumitis" admitted they killed far out of proportion.

I have limited exposure to "Guides" and while they

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 12:04 (1901 days ago) @ Huey

seem to be intelligent, Man's men, they are a bit limited in scope. Their choice of arms is a bit odd as a stereotype but usually based upon function. Bad experiences usually are based upon poor shots. It would not matter what bullet was used. Converse too.

I read a blurb talking down 5 cent reloads for hunting touting "Factory" loads at a premium cost. If I was ensured some "premium" quality I'm all in. Human eyeballs making sure there was a flash hole in the case, powder actually got in there etc. I guess since I'm getting older I have seen some stuff. I'm not too worried what others think about what I do, but I like controlling my failures as well as success. But if a .500 Nitro of .416 Rigby costs $10 a shot, what is it on a shot at a big expensive critter on the other side of the earth? No reasonable person would be too silly.

very few guides are gun people. They like to promote

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 13:42 (1901 days ago) @ WB

the magnums for their clients as they have no idea how the client can shoot. They figure a magnum in a non lethal hit will at best give a good blood trail and a sick animal. On my last hunt when we went to sight in our guns there were 2 guys that took 6 or 8 shots to get a group and still, at 50 yards, couldn't keep their groups to 8" or less.

Being a handgunner I have to show guides time and again that my guns are accurate and if I do my part with a mediocre rest 2 inches at 100 is no problem. Some may scoff at 2" at 100 but in the field shooting off a limb or off a flat rock or if I am lucky off he top of an ant hill, 2" is fine.

And in 14 Safaris plus Australia, New Zealand, Alaska and a couple of others, I have never used factory ammo. Shooting my 378 GNR for the most part my reloads are the only way to fly. I have used mostly the Nosler Partition early on and the Accubond in my last several safaris. On the last Cape Buff hunt my 450 GNR reloads did the number using Hornady's fine DGX 500 grain expanding bullet and having the DGS, the 500 grain solid on hand should I need it. I don't recall ever having a misfire or squib load in all my hunts. I feel as long as care is taken in my reloading, and checking each load as I go along plus dropping every round in my gun before the hunt to make sure they chamber, at least I am a lot less apt to have a problem round.

I got the feeling the PHs were accustomed to guiding...

Huey
[subject]
Monday, February 11, 2019, 13:56 (1901 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Rich pricks. Someone who bought his first rifle and headed to Africa. I admitted I knew little about hunting Africa. But, really got tired of being told how to hold a gun, aim a gun, etc.

The guy was two years younger than my son and I'm fairly confident I've fired more rounds.

All in all, I'd do it again...

My 3 times to RSA were met with solid PHs who knew their

Rsim
[subject]
Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 06:18 (1899 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

trade and we're sensitive to our strengths and weaknesses. The main factor with each PH was that all could shoot the firearm we brought. Each time I had a hunting partner who was a FNG, in 2003, both of us... My 17 year old son in 2004, and my wife in 2017. Hunted with only my handloads. All 3 trips over were great hunting experiences and successful. Animals don't know the difference between a .308 Win. and a 458 WM. And wear old well broke-in boots...