I got to really eyeball and finger Doug's African revolver

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 10, 2019, 12:04 (1901 days ago)

He and I have differing styles and I always like to micro-examine what he contrives. He commissioned a bread and butter .44 Magnum caliber. Not anything wrong with that and ammo is everywhere, you can juice it up. For 100 yds or so with the right ammo who can fault it with a straight face? Sure a .454 would be hotter but would a critter be impressed? More to the gun, it is worth more than a quick look.

[image]

The basis is a hefty Blackhawk chassis with a stylish #5 Reeder gripframe. I've struggled to hang onto mine in .510 but this .44 should be easier and it has some more weight forward with a full 8" barrel. The barrel is all new and has the full feature maxi-throat and deep dish crown, not a stocker. The action has a free spin pawl gear, a huge help when bumping your butt trying to load fast. Under appreciated until you have experienced it under duress. Gary had the action done right, the trigger is simply oiled glass.

The hammer looked funny in the photos, it is different. It's sort of a slimmed Bisely, never seen one before, sort of unique. Those Ivory looking synthetic grips are almost too close to ivory, a casual glance would certainly mistake them. I'll be getting some of these myself!

[image]

I saw it immediately and Doug had not yet noted, the Maximum length ejector housing. It affords full length .44 Magnum case ejection! Man where did he find this, rare as hen'd teeth. The front sight looked factory but it's just a factory style plain blade installed in Gary's interchangeable ramp, whew, I can't imagine not having that feature.

[image]

[image]

We are sorting scopes trying to figure which one we want to use. A variable is a bit over the top but they are handy in the field. I vote for a straight 4X but it's not my gun. However knowing how fickle Doug is, I can wait, years if necessary, like a vulture. When he gets stupid or complacent and has a weak moment to sell, I'll swoop in. This is a very serious, subtle in appearance, feature filled hunting handgun!

good one

james
[subject]
Sunday, February 10, 2019, 12:41 (1901 days ago) @ WB

perfect example of a 44 hunting handgun...

If I owned it and headed to Africa

John W
[subject]
Sunday, February 10, 2019, 14:08 (1901 days ago) @ WB

the gun would wear a Burris 3x I have on a Super 16 barrel.

I am real partial to the Burris 3X and 5X scopes

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, February 10, 2019, 17:24 (1900 days ago) @ John W

- No text -

Beauty. Nicely done article Scotty.

SPB
[subject]
Sunday, February 10, 2019, 16:24 (1900 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

That's really nice, hope you blood it several times in RSA.

Howard
[subject]
Sunday, February 10, 2019, 16:25 (1900 days ago) @ WB

- No text -