It is true, for the next generation that will run the world

WB
[subject]
Friday, January 11, 2019, 08:12 (1903 days ago)

and make new laws and policy for all. That is the real scary issue, the bible warns of not teaching youth history and wisdom. Then a point is reached where they must relearn by negative experience. A cycle that repeats.

A little boy from church visited us and to keep the boys occupied I took them shooting a .22 rifle. They had a ball. Then the little boy informed me that he'd NEVER fired a gun before, a BB gun once! I felt I'd breached some barrier and was a little concerned I'd robbed his father of a memorable experience. Next was down to the pond and they did some fishing. The little boy caught a Large-mouth Bass of about a pound. Pretty little fish. I took his beaming picture with his well earned prize before we released it back in. He told me it was the first fish he had ever caught! Cripes, first shot from a "real" gun and first fish! IN ONE DAY. I really worried about the father's lost opportunity, Him being pissed at me. Then I got kind of mad and defensive about it. This kid was 10-11 yrs. old and NOBODY in his family, Dad, Grandpa, Uncles had ever took him shooting or fishing. Here in one day at our place he did both. They had the chance and lost it. At least the family have photos of the experiences. There were many other things too. Interaction with a horse (never walk behind one, or touch their flanks - know why?), a surly Goose, chickens, cats... My kids live it every day and are used to it. Made me realize I've not done too bad a job so far. I can't live their life, they will make stupid mistakes, I did and still do. But my bunch have been exposed to many things that are not so common anymore and have a unique perspective, a value and understanding of life. There is no "reset" button in real life, no "cheat codes".

I do not think this trend of society is an accident or simple product of capitalism. There are two forces in this world, good and evil, no true middle ground. Escapism is a very bad trend that is invading almost all homes and lives. There is not really that much difference in it or drug addiction, one is physically harmful the other mentally, which eventually effects the former. We have a responsibility to expose as many as we can to the truth, the good in this world in preparation for the next.

Nevera bad thing to introduce kids to shooting .. fishing ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, January 11, 2019, 08:52 (1903 days ago) @ WB

outdoor life. Too many people live completely out of touch with nature.

My uncle Chuck taught me to fish and hunt rabbits and

Lymey
[subject]
Saturday, January 12, 2019, 05:16 (1902 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Squirrels starting around the 3rd grade. He lived on a small lake in Jackson county, Michigan. My elementary school was about a half mile from his work in Lansing. I would take my fishing rod and tackle to school with me and walk to his work after school. I would be sitting on his car when he came out to go home. He always laughter. I could fish all weekend and he would drop me off at my school Monday morning. It was a good life for a 9-10 year old. I moved to Florida when I was 12. I always hoped that he knew what he had done for me.

Well done Scotty. And you are correct.

SPB
[subject]
Friday, January 11, 2019, 11:16 (1903 days ago) @ WB

- No text -