Question for all you 429 GNR shooters

Stephen
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 13:38 (1966 days ago)

I’m going to have a Ruger redhawk or Ruger Super Redhawk rechambered to 429 GNR and trying to decide on which model and what barrel length. Told that the Alaskan model barrel is to short to utilize the powder in the 429. So what would be your choice and why in length and frame models? Going to use to hunt with maybe even scoped. Interested in your ideas. Thanks.

A lot of personal opinions about barrel length. How does the

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 14:25 (1966 days ago) @ Stephen

71/2 barrel balance for you? If you are going to scope, I would not go less than 6”.

7.5 inch barrel balances fine with a scope. How does recoil

Stephen
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 14:57 (1966 days ago) @ Jeff Spencer

Compare in the redhawk vs super redhawk?

Super is going to recoil less. It is heavier.

Alcorn
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 15:21 (1966 days ago) @ Stephen

- No text -

Actually the SRH is lighter than the Redhawk..

Huey
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 15:42 (1966 days ago) @ Alcorn

Ruger lists the 7.5" SRH 44 Magnum at 53 oz. and the 7.5" Redhawk 44 Magnum at 54 oz. With variances in choices of grips, probably not enough to detect.

His SRH is the 3" Alaskan model, not good for the 429

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 17:00 (1966 days ago) @ Huey

too short to burn the extra powder.Might give him the same power as the 3" 44 magnum. Not worth converting.

I don't mean to bash anybody's choice of guns...

Huey
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 17:12 (1966 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

But, I am not smart enough to comprehend those chambered in 44 Magnum.

I have the S&W 69 in 44 Magnum that weighs in at under 34 ounces. I won't try to B.S. anybody into thinking it's fun to shoot. But, what a joy to carry.

I suppose the SRH Alaskan would be worthwhile in 480 Ruger. Just my thoughts...

The snubby Redhawks were some of our first custom Ruger

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 17:25 (1966 days ago) @ Huey

double actions quite a few years ago. Our Alaskan Survivor was the first in a 3" barrel. The SRH was next. Ruger has "borrowed" a lot of our custom designs thru the years which I take as a compliment. Our Alaskan Survivor in a 3" gun in 44 Magnum loses about 250 fps over a 7" gun, so I don't recommend the Alaskan Ruger's version or ours in 429 GNR. It will give you medium range 44 magnum velocities at best. His longer barrel 44 magnum rechambered to 429 GNR would be a much better choice for a hunting revolver. As far as how many ounces a gun weighs is moot to a handgun hunter. I have never weighed any of my hunting revolvers. If it is too heavy to carry in a good holster, stay home with the women folk.

Guess it's more when you carry them...

Huey
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 17:31 (1966 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Working in the woods a lot with chainsaws and the sort makes less weight a plus.

Doubt many women folks do that and doubt lots of men could keep up.

My SRH is 9.5", I vote 6" on the SRH

WB
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 19:37 (1966 days ago) @ Huey

Mine was one of the first revolver conversions on a stock gun to test the Concept for Gary. He had built a 5-shot SA but my SRH might have been one of the first plain DA conversions. He had been doing DA 6-shot conversions to .410 GNR for a long time. The 5.5" is a peach if you are not going a custom barrel.

Scope is a fantastic vintage B&L 2x28mm.
[image]

My 9.5" is so because that is just what it happened to be. It gives a little more velocity but not really enough to tell. Recoil between it and a 5.5" is no real different, the SRH is a little whippy anyway. The std. RH has a grip that is less forgiving in standard trim. Kind of hammers my palm and aftermarket filler grips don't feel right to me. GNR's Gunfighter RH grips look sort of stock but are wider and a lot better than stock or aftermarket to me. Gary made Doug a 6" .429 SRH that Amede bought. It is about a perfect rig. The scope mounting is a big bonus to me. A custom barrel gets you a perfect length, custom throating, perfect adjusted cyl. gap, and crowning too. Consider all factors. Sock conversion is a value on the cheap, and the packages save you money for the features.

A SRH has a two spring system, dedicated mainspring and a trigger return spring (more common design). The standard RH has a common and innovative "single" spring system that one spring powers both hammer and trigger return. But's it's not as forgiving in an action job. More tricky.

our 6" Brute is quite popular

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 22:07 (1966 days ago) @ WB

[image]

One change we have done to the Redhawk is where we have modified the back of the frame to take that sharp upper edge off which really helps tame the recoil in the web of your hand.
[image]
[image]
We have done a lot more modifications on the Redhawk than we have the Super Redhawk.This was our original Alaskan Survivor from 1985. It started on the Redhawk and then went to the SRH.
[image]
After that came a lot of special Redhawks and SRHs.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I would not worry about recoil. Which gun feels better to ..

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 15:28 (1966 days ago) @ Stephen

you? Recoil could be slightly more in the lighter Redhawk, but in hunting situation, you would not notice the difference.

Shawn Davis
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 14:30 (1966 days ago) @ Stephen

Mine is the Stealth Hawk version on the Redhawk. 5.5" barrel on mine. I've a number of Redhawks and Super Redhawks. I like about a 6" barrel and this one suits me well. But, that's just my preference. I have two Redhawks in 44 mag (well, one is the wife's). One has a 5.5" barrel and the other is 7.5". I like the longer barrel sor target shooting but really, I don't see much difference in the two. I got the 429 with the shorter barrel for hunting. I wouldn't go shorter than 5.5", but again, that's my personal preference.