Went out this AM

John W
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 09:49 (1937 days ago)

I arose in the early morning hours and the temperature was hovering around 17 F With a bit of wind the wind chill was around 4 F.

Needless to say it was cold to sit in a metal treestand. I discovered that when it is really cold no matter how well your boots are the metal conducts heat from you quite fast.

It was around 8:00 AM when I heard the crunching of deer through the frozen swamp and the laurel patch towards my stand area. Bear in mind it is thick so that I will not see a clear target until it is within 45 yards of me or less. It seems the buggers know I am up there like a big fat orange owl waiting for the "mice".

After an hour I noticed the noise of milling about went away. My feet were more or less numb so I climbed down and walked maybe ten yards towards the laurel patch to check something out.

Then I heard the explosion of deer running through the heavy brush. One could not see a thing due to the thickness of the woodlands and swamp.

Oh. Well. This PM may prove to be more fruitful.

Better luck this evening

steve todd
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 10:15 (1937 days ago) @ John W

You know what they’re up to, so you have a better chance. Maybe move the stand?

I think a ground approach will be taken

John W
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 10:57 (1937 days ago) @ steve todd

I have a small folding chair I rigged up with some ALICE pack straps.

The plan will be to sit on the ground with a huge white pine at my back overlooking a space between two swamps.

I like to find some heavy brush near a trail they

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 11:16 (1937 days ago) @ John W

use to go to or from water. I try to have the sun either at my back or as least over my shoulder. I try to position myself with a sapling in front of me to rest my handgun on. Actually I hold the sapling with my left hand and rest the gun on my left hand. makes a good steady rest.

tree stands aren't as useful as they used to be t

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 10:22 (1937 days ago) @ John W

Old does will look up in the trees. Most deer "herds" will be led by an old doe and she isn't dumb. Before I got totally away from tree stands and went to a ground blind in heavy brush I had several hunts killed due to an old doe looking up in the trees and spotting me, snorting, pawing the ground and running off with her group.

Southern AZ

Paul
[subject]
Saturday, December 08, 2018, 11:02 (1937 days ago) @ John W

A tree stand would be about 18 inches off the ground in the desert. I always ground hunted. Good luck