tumbling brass

jack s
[subject]
Friday, December 07, 2018, 17:22 (1938 days ago)

what is everyone using for media when they are cleaning there brass

Stainless steel pins in a tumbler with distilled water and

Stephen
[subject]
Friday, December 07, 2018, 18:11 (1938 days ago) @ jack s

Detergent. Cleans inside and outside of the case along with primer pockets.

Only ever used corn cob. Sometimes a little polish. Walnut i

SPB
[subject]
Friday, December 07, 2018, 19:13 (1938 days ago) @ jack s

Is to fine and dusty. Had good luck.

Brass cleaning options

Shawn Davis
[subject]
Friday, December 07, 2018, 19:47 (1938 days ago) @ jack s

A few years ago when I was selling 1x fired brass I used to tumble 100# of brass at a time. I used a cement mixer, a pint of polish and a little kerosene with a 50# sack of corn cob media. The brass would come out so shiny you could shave in the reflection!

You can do the same with ss media as I was commercially, but I didn't want the liability of missing a pin and someone sending it down their barrel. I have a smaller tumbler that I do my own brass with using ss media. Just add your brass, a dash of liquid dishwashing detergent and a little lemi-shine to the water bath. It does a better job cleaning the inside and it gets the primer pockets spotless, unlike corn cob media, but it leaves more of a satin finish than the corn cob media does. Once finished, I simply dump them out onto a cookie sheet and toss them into the oven on the lowest setting to dry for an hour. But, and this is a major BUT, you have to visually inspect Every. Single. Case. for pins! Some folks are now using ss chips instead of pins. I haven't tried those.

Pick your poison. Either works.