Encore belted magnum

Ed
[subject]
Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:12 (1987 days ago)

On Thompson center's website this morning I see there offering the encore pro hunter rifle in both 7mm rem.and 300 win mag. again. I know Gary mentioned the belted mags were discontinued because of chambering and pressure problems but I'm wondering if t&c got a new extractor or something because I see there back.

Ed, remember S&W owns TC now so they may not be

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:51 (1987 days ago) @ Ed

worried about lawsuits as much as TC was. Ernie French, a hunting buddy, who was head of TC's custom shop, called one day and asked me if we chambered any belted magnums. I told him we did a few. He asked us to hold off on building any more as they were getting frames in that were badly stretched and some with hairline cracks from the belted magnums.They were also getting a rash of sheared off extractors from the belted magnums. None of the stretched and cracked frames were our custom ones, thank the Lord. But after he told me that we quit building any barrels in the belted magnums. In the pic below Ernie on the left asked J.D. Jones and me to have a sit down with him at the TC booth. We went over the various problems that were encountered with the high pressure cartridges in the encore. But after that I think J.D. did and I know we stopped building any belted magnums.

So to answer your questions maybe S&W has come up with a stronger extractor but you still have the problem of getting that belted magnum over the extractor and then wrangling it back out after your shot. It is not a quick load or reload at all. I wouldn't recommend it for any dangerous game.
[image]

I used to watch Hal Swiggett with his 450 Marlin Encore...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:59 (1987 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

And he'd use a pocket knife to pull the extractor down to remove a fired case from the barrel. Sorry, but doesn't sound like fun to me.

Friends

Alcorn
[subject]
Friday, November 16, 2018, 13:17 (1987 days ago) @ Huey

2 Good friends and one accquaintce. Ernie's father Ken presented me with a complete Encore in 2000. I won it in a drawing! I talked to Ernie once on the phone. I have hunted with J D and Gary many times.

Alcorn, me too. I have been blessed beyond

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, November 16, 2018, 15:02 (1987 days ago) @ Alcorn

measure with special friends thru the years. Here are a few..
John Taffin
[image]
[image]
[image]
Lee Jurras
[image]
[image]
John Linebaugh
[image]
[image]
Bob Baker of Freedom Arms with John Taffin
[image]

Milt Morrison with his wife and JT
[image]

Jim Taylor and Diamond Dot
[image]

Kelly Brost and Rob Leahy
[image]
Kelly & GNR
[image]

Irv Coutts and Roy Fishpaw
[image]

Kelye Schlepp of Belt Mountain
[image]
George Faerber, Alaskan guide
[image]
[image]

Ernie French (TC), Dave Manson (Manson Reamers, and GNR

[image]
Ernie French, J.D.Jones and GNR
[image]

Ken Jorgensen on the middle (then of S&W) Now Ruger
[image]
Gary Wrigley of Merrill, RPM, Rock Ind.
[image]

Joe Meeks of Tellico Junction with GNR
[image]
Jim Taylor and Paco Kelly
[image]

and finally Jason Parr, Puffy to his many friends.
[image]

I put just as much stock in everyday friends...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, November 16, 2018, 17:52 (1987 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Such as the Misfits in Africa, the coworker who joined us and just plain old folks.

Never ceases to amaze me what the average Joe the gun guy can do. I'm not on any social media and don't see that changing in the future.

On here and Lee Martin's Forum only. The friends made and problems solved leaves me in awe sometimes. The Forums make proverbial rock soup of gun knowledge possible.

FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND FIREARMS.

JT
[subject]
Saturday, November 17, 2018, 08:53 (1986 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

ALL GIVE US FREEDOM. NOT MUCH ELSE IS IMPORTANT.