Bore Sighting

Tom
[subject]
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:46 (1986 days ago)

Can a handgun be bore sighted like a rifle when mounting a scope? I'm guessing it can if the correct size arbor is used.

I have tried it and not had much success.

Larry Fry
[subject]
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:57 (1986 days ago) @ Tom

Others probably can do it without any issues. When I tried it I as always low at 100 yards on the range. I tried it at 25 yards on the indoor range and it still would not shoot to POA with the scope. I finally just set it up by going with my first shot at 25 yards on paper and then moving back until I got to the range I wanted and then set it at zero.. At least that way I knew where the bullet would be in between and how much over I had to be at longer ranges. It is a pain but that is how I sighted in my Encore .378GNR with a Burris 2X7 scope on it. Just my take on bore sighting revolvers and encores. With a rifle it will get you on paper with first shot if done correctly.

That's why

Tom
[subject]
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 19:32 (1986 days ago) @ Larry Fry

"With a rifle it will get you on paper with first shot if done correctly".

I was curious if it would work with a revolver. Don't want to waste a bunch of ammo just to get it on the paper. Thinking of scoping my Ruger Toklat, came with rings, may as well buy a scope.

bore sighting with a rifle is the same as with a handgunj.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 19:36 (1986 days ago) @ Tom

Bore sight it and go to 20 yards. A bore sighter is not intended to 100 yards, not even 50. It will normally be on the paper at 20. Then to 50 and it should be OK left and right but will be high. Adjust it down and then go to 100 and normally it will again be high. We do it with a max of 4 or 5 shots.

I don't guess I've tried it but in my

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:51 (1986 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Cannoning book it tells to align the piece precisely at the target and fire a round to mark. Again sight the piece directly and precisely at the target, then carefully adjust the sights to line up on the fired shot's mark (keeping the piece stationary). You are sighted.

Sounds legit. At least for my 200 lb. smooth bore 3#.

Sighting in

Alcorn
[subject]
Thursday, November 15, 2018, 05:35 (1986 days ago) @ WB

I use a different method for sighting in break action single shots. Pick out a spot on the wall. Open the gun and find that spot looking through the barrel. Don't move the gun. Adjust scope to spot. Check that scope and barrel are on the same spot. Should put you on the paper at 20 yards.

Thst's how we dighted in our

Grover Sr
[subject]
Thursday, November 15, 2018, 07:01 (1986 days ago) @ Alcorn

Bolt action rifles ba k in the 70's. It worked just as well as the old grid dtyle bore sight tools for getting on paper at 25 yards.

Bolt guns

Alcorn
[subject]
Thursday, November 15, 2018, 17:23 (1985 days ago) @ Grover Sr

Take the bolt out and accomplish the same thing.

Yep do it the same way. Just know

Blake
[subject]
Thursday, November 15, 2018, 12:00 (1986 days ago) @ Alcorn

You will be adjusting the scope in elevation and windage in the opposite directions as you would to adjust for a bullet impact!

Bullet crossed the line of sight twice

Harry
[subject]
Thursday, November 15, 2018, 09:10 (1986 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

When sighted in, the bullet rises and crosses around 30 yards and then falls and crosses at a longer distance.

So Gary is right in sighting for the first crossing point.

Larry, you are making it harder than it should be. Bore

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 19:33 (1986 days ago) @ Larry Fry

sight the gun and then go to 20 yards max and it will normally be on that paper. Get it dead on at 20 yards and go out to 50 yards. I do dozens of guns every year like that and it normally takes a maximum of 5 rounds to get it dead on at 50.

sure, works fine

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 19:30 (1986 days ago) @ Tom

- No text -