Opinions of Star BM pistols?

Dave H.
[subject]
Saturday, October 13, 2018, 03:23 (2020 days ago)

Found one in a LGS. Appears to be mechanicaly solid. 9mm. Don’t know much about them. Has one 8rd magazine. Can you get extra mags? Priced at $275. Thanks for your input.

Star BM

Charlie Herf
[subject]
Saturday, October 13, 2018, 04:26 (2020 days ago) @ Dave H.

Picked one up at about the same price at local gun shop, original box etc, had Gary check it, refinish it so it looks like new. Apparently huge surplus of these guns released. Extra mags by entering info on Google or going t E-Bay. It is extremely accurate but if there are many take care in your selection process .

I bought one from Blake and loved it

WB
[subject]
Saturday, October 13, 2018, 06:54 (2020 days ago) @ Charlie Herf

I sourced some pretty wood grips from Vietnam. I think they were about $40, 3-wks. delivery. The magazines are important. Originals have a convex chrome plated follower and work flawlessly. Aftermarket usually have a different type and you'll have to sort them yourself.

My gun performed outstanding and I probably should get another. I sold mine to a friend and bought a Glock 30s .45 which is the same size and weight but fatter. With modern sights like Novac it would be a considerable upgrade. I spoke to Kase about it and he sort of poo-poo'd it because the factory notch is not right. But if there was a market they could figure it out. I think they would make a fine custom, rivaling the PD .45 because they are all steel (except for the rare BKM lightweight) and would last forever under-stressed in 9mm.

Shooting mine hit a little lower than I like with 115 gr. and 124 gr. ammo. 147 gr. JHP factory ammo and my custom 158 gr./1000 fps ammo shot to a perfect 6 O'clock hold that I prefer. I like to see where the bullet is going to hit. I shot about 3" groups at 30 yds. with mine. That's about as good as I can hold. For the little gun to reliably digest my 158 gr. painted bullet weird ammo was commendable. However my FN Hi-Power does too and exhibits the same shooting low trait. Perhaps it's a Euro ammo thing.

Forgot it's best attribute...

WB
[subject]
Saturday, October 13, 2018, 06:58 (2020 days ago) @ WB

it's outstanding for folks with weaker hand strength. Being basically a mini-1911 the main force is to cock the SA hammer. Typically you carry cocked & locked. The locked breach system is very slick and easy to pull the slide back, no need for heavy recoil springs with the swinging link lock up barrel.

They are a bargain and you dealer likely has minimal mark up on them from what I can tell.

excellent guns. Very well made.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:09 (2020 days ago) @ Dave H.

- No text -