10 mm Glock Bear Medicine

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 15:36 (2046 days ago)

Hey Scoooootttyyyyyyy, a neat BEAR story

Larry Fry
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 16:02 (2046 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

for you! LOL. 175 grain Hornady's?????? I will stick with my 510 GNR in bear county!

one of the bears I danced with was a cinnamon

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 16:23 (2046 days ago) @ Larry Fry

bear. Colleen had shot from the top of a large tree with her 338 GNR. The bear was looking down at her and the bullet went thru his left front leg and up into the bottom of his jaw. It ended up in the roof of his mouth. When he fell he came straight down, not grabbing at branches and usually that means he is dead on arrival. When he hit the ground I walked over to him parted the hair with my revolver barrel and turned to tell Colleen she had a really weird colored cinnamon bear. I saw her eyes get wide and turned and the bear was up on his hind legs about 2 feet in front of me, thankfully still groggy. I put the 41 GNR Redhawk in his chest and pulled the trigger until it went click click. With the bear dead I turned to Colleen. Her comment was "thanks a lot, 6 more holes in the hide". The guide said the bear was right at 300 lbs.
We have him full mounted in our living room. A real nice cinnamon bear but the underlying hair is light grey, which I thought unusual.
[image]
[image]

Nice bear!

Derek
[subject]
Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 09:13 (2045 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

The Glock ain't bad for Bear piece of mind.

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 19:14 (2046 days ago) @ Larry Fry

Not BIG 9 ft. Grizz but most situations I'd figure. In truth whatever you got in hand is better than a sharp stick. IF it goes BANG!

Mine is my own Frankenstein. A barrel/mag swap and it is a 10mm 15-shot (again). I did lots of work with .45 Super and got a 200 gr. bullet (cast gas check) to 1400 fps. Then I worked with the 10mm and 200 gr. FNGC, guess what? It ran 1400 fps too with a published load I used (6" barrel). That's generally 100 fps more than the heavy factory jacketed loads available (lead is more slippery). BUT it has two more rounds and better sectional density. A toe to toe comparison would be interesting on penetration depth. With special tuning and moderation with the real hefty loads it would do.

Pic is shown with some Naugle loads.
[image]

I can think of better things to have on my hip

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 10:35 (2045 days ago) @ WB

for bears. I used a hot 44 mag on one and it took 6 rounds with him sitting on my chest.
[image]
On another I used the 41 GNR Redhawk, 6 rounds center chest from 2 feet after he had been hit with Colleen's 338 GNR,
[image]
and on the last bear in Alaska, 2 rounds of hot 510 GNR at 2 feet and he ran off leaving me with a blood coated 510 GNR. The blood was his. Then I had to go in the heavy brush after him. No pic of the bear, only the 510 GNR..
[image]

. So, as much as I like the 10mm, it would stay home.

Big bore revolver might be a better choice

Dave H.
[subject]
Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 04:04 (2046 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Article says the glock failed to return to battery. And the 10 worked in the end, but only by a miracle.