Mr snake in the rose bed.

Brant
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 14:28 (2047 days ago)

After working a 12 hour shift a few nights ago when I arrived home in the early morning as the sun is up enough to see but not really. Inside I find my wife fully dressed I her Outside duds like she has an urgent mission.

“Get out of those boots into some walking shoes.” That was confusing because boots are my walking shoes! Anyway she has been walking for health reasons and now I am joining her. She is deathly afraid of snakes. More so than rapist, terrorist or the boogeyman. Our dog always accompanies her and is quick to point out any of the previously named, and she then shoots them a whole bunch.

Barely off the porch the dog went nutts in the rose bed and there it is. Only the second coral snake I have ever seen. The other was 35 years ago and only about 20 feet from where this one was. My mother saw her only one in this yard when she was a little girl as well.
Kinda neet. My wife and her dog do not agree.

In my youth I skinned and dried many snakes of all sorts. I could get $25 or $30 for a rattler long enough to make a hat band. That copper head pic gives me the willies though. Looks like a good one. Everyone worries about the rattlers. The copper heads are the biters around here and then the cottonmouth is just evil!

look at my post a few threads down to WB about the snakes

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 14:44 (2047 days ago) @ Brant

- No text -

Gary, where are the snake pictures?

Josh
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 16:49 (2047 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

go down 5 threads

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 16:50 (2047 days ago) @ Josh

- No text -

Man Coral snakes are super rare, actually Cobra or Kraits.

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 14:52 (2047 days ago) @ Brant

A relative of the sea snakes and the most deadly serpents there are. The Coral is not very aggressive and has small fangs in the "back" of it's jaw. They have to sort of chew on something to get the venom in there. But it is some bad stuff, a nerve agent.

Some old boy was playing with one thinking it was a King Snake or Corn Snake and got bit. Took his time going to the Dr. and was in a vegetative state a good while, he won't fully recover but he's alive last I heard. Not worth messing with as dangerous as they are. But you don't want to step on it bare footed either. I'd have carefully herded it into a large trash can in a safe manner and called the local University Biology dept. Not being a"Viper" they do NOT have cat eyes and sport round pupils like a "non-poisonous" species. All Cobras do! Ditto Mambas!

WB

Brant
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 16:12 (2047 days ago) @ WB

I thought the same about the fangs and chewing, but, I looked into it and that may not be exactly right. Seems they have front fangs, they are just small. As for chewing, they may be just holding on as other snakes do especially those that eat other snakes. Now I’m no expert, and that report could have been off, just something I read. Remember what Abraham Lincoln taught us? “You can’t believe everything you read on the internet “

I don’t go around killing every snake I see but Poisonous ones in the yard are in trouble. I recognized the rarity and wanted to keep it for a friend that does snake removal for people. He also teaches kids about them. He is very passionate about it. It would have had to stay at the house a few days until we could get together, so wife and dog said no. ( He always takes her side. He may be my pal, but he is her guardian) I took it down the road a bit a released it. The. I had to go back and get my exercise anyway. It took longer than normal. We had to look REALLY good for snakes!