Closet rust.

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 13:33 (2048 days ago)

I was wondering... I have two guns in particular that were basically "mint" condition except for some very heavy, very old, and now de-activated or for the moment stopped rust. One is a Winchester M62A pump .22 that almost looked unfired except for the entire underside being "shallow pitted" with formerly rust. Ditto my lately purchased Colt Pocket Positive that's 85 yrs. old. Really crisp and clean blue but sad, sad, sections of that old rust patches.

[image]

I figure these must have been relatively unused and put away in a closet or drawer in some mutton lined case or leather carrier and the natural environmental changes created a moist enough situation to rust them. Likely unseen for years. The only silver lining is I was able to get them at a very favorable discount because of the loss of collectors traits. They still remain fine shooters. It just makes you want to cry. Bonus some Bozo busted the Colt grips, stereotypical, probably taking them off to clean the rust off a few decades ago.

Do you concur or have any ideas how this happens? All those fine guns hid out in FL by all those rich old men. LOL

Fingerprints not wiped off. I agree, sad to see it.

SPB
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 13:46 (2048 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

that's an easy one. The gun was in a holster and covered

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 14:04 (2048 days ago) @ WB

up to the rear of the gun and the part that was out of the holster either got wet or some dampness got on it. It wasn't from finger prints. Way too big for that. Look at the gun and look at what sticks out of a holster. That is where the rust is.

The little pump .22 has a very distinct pattern underside

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 15:03 (2048 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I was looking for a Rossi which is actually a clone of the wire round spring powered M62A Winchester (earlier guns had flat springs). Low and behold I found this one with very unfortunate signs of external rust. Inside it was pristine! I paid about what I would have for a clean Rossi and was elated.

My Winchester shooters collection is all take down style so far. The M12, 62A, and 1910 .401 WSL. One day I plan to add a Pre-64 M70 but not a take down. Maybe a Pre-64 M94 but I care little for the .30-30, maybe a .400 GNR custom....

*Don't throw tomatoes, nothing wrong with the .30-30 it just don't excite me. I'd just prefer an old .25-35, .38-55, or custom. Gary's .35 cal. would be a humm-dinger too. The .356 Win. is a great ctg. but making brass from .444 is a pain. Gary fixed that.