The Reeder 303 British G2 Carbine...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 08:42 (2049 days ago)

Gary built my G2 Carbine from a barrel blank I had. It was originally bored for a 7.62x39. So, I figured it was perfect for a 303 British.

I slugged the barrel after Gary completed the build. Bore was an even .310". Turns out this is just perfect. My Ruger #1 in 7.62x39 also has a .310" bore. It shoots .308-.312" bullets all just fine. Ditto on the Reeder 303 British. Makes for one versatile rifle. From cast/jacketed bullets for the 32 Magnum to the sturdy .312" rifle bullets all work great. This makes bullet selection is second to none.

Just added a .307" expanded to my die set and loading is a breeze. Found an extra Lee FL Sizer, so no need to switch before loading.

Velocity is running about 2750 fps with a 150 grn Hornady SST and over 3050 fps with 123/125 grn. Accuracy is 1/2-1" at 100 yards. Not very much behind the ever popular 308 Winchester.

Our PH in Africa was hesitant when we showed up with Daren's Ruger #1 in 303 British. Truth is he was young and eat up with Magnumitis. But, after two huge Blue Wildebeests dropped to one shot each, he admitted that the gun was a killer. John Abraham stated that the 303 British had killed more African Game than any cartridge in history. I figure he is correct.

I love this gun. Fit and finish is the best that can be imagined.

303 British loaded with Hornady SST...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 08:45 (2049 days ago) @ Huey

Huey, You load standard power load for that gun?

Gus Snipes
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 12:45 (2047 days ago) @ Huey

Meaning by the book or are you reducing loads? Just wondering.

Standard power by Hodgdon's Manual...

Huey
[subject]
Monday, September 17, 2018, 13:02 (2047 days ago) @ Gus Snipes

- No text -

Huey is there a reason not to go with the 30/40 Krag?

bigboar
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 08:50 (2049 days ago) @ Huey

- No text -

Just a personal preference since I shoot too...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 09:00 (2049 days ago) @ bigboar

Custom Rolling Blocks in 30-40 Krag. Both are equal ballistically, but the 303 British has a bigger bullet selection.

303-.308

Kyle
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 11:01 (2048 days ago) @ Huey

You can load .308” 30 cal bullets in the .303 british?

According to groove diameter and rifling depth...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 12:25 (2048 days ago) @ Kyle

With this .310" groove barrel it works great. In some of the old .312-.313" barrels or those with shallow rifling, I'm not so sure.

I wonder how this would do out of a

John W
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 12:55 (2048 days ago) @ Huey

16 inch barrel ? I suspect the case head thrust would be lessened with this modification.

http://www.303british.com/id20.html

Contender frames stretching has been greatly exaggerated...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 15:52 (2048 days ago) @ John W

Mostly by those wishing to progress their wildcats. What Gary says about the 6.5 Creedmoor, Short Mags and other newly introduced rounds is not a new agenda.

Propaganda has been around longer than guns. I have Contenders in 250 Savage, 6.5x54, 7x57, 300 Savage, 358 Win and plenty of others.

I've shot the Savage rounds thousands of times and never had an issue. Full power loads, nothing reduced and on old frames, not the new G2.

I do believe wildcats are great and I own many. But, there are many vintage rounds that still work great. They just fell out of favor because the market was saturated. Once everybody owns one, someone declares it no longer works. Clearly, you need a new Whizbang Super Magnum.

I am not really sure what Huey said there. He lost

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 18:00 (2048 days ago) @ Huey

me somewhere along the line. The gist of it is forget the case head back thrust on any of the calibers I mentioned or the ones Huey mentioned. The early Contenders were prone to stretch. i have stretched 2 or 3 thru the years, but with overly hot loads and in early Contenders. This was when I was developing the 450 GNR, 475 GNR, 416 GNR and such. It was not just the case head back thrust that stretched these frames, it was the overall pressure spike when trying to push a 500 grain jacketed bullet up the barrel hoping for 2000 fps out of an older Contender. The gun just wasn't meant for that. The original Contenders were chambered in cartridges like 45 ACP, 38 Special, 22 Hornet, and other super low pressure rounds. Take that same old Contender (serial number under 150,000) and run a hot 450 GNR or 416 GNR thru it and you will eventually get a stretched frame.

Ernie French, who has worked for TC for years and was head of the old TC Custom Shop is a good friend. he and I hunted together at the Celebrity Handgun hunt several years in a row. Most of what I know about the TC I got from Ernie.
Years ago he called and asked me if we were chambering any Encores in any of the Short Magnums, Ultra Mags and pretty much any belted magnum. At the time we had built a few in 300 Win Mag in the Encore. This was before the G-2. He asked me not to do so as they were getting a lot of damaged frames in that had shot these rounds.Thankfully none were barrels we had built. And he never mentioned case head thrust at all. It was just the overall high pressure and the lack of locking lugs like a normal rifle bolt has.

I immediately stopped and mentioned on here that if anyone had one, to send it back in and I would replace it with a barrel in the caliber of their choice.

In the mid to late 80s we built a LOT of 50-70 barrels and never had any case head thrust. If a large case head meant you destroyed your TC, then the 50-70 would blow the gun up. And TC would have never chambered the Contender in 45-70, and none of J.D.Jones wildcats based on the 444, nor any of mine based on the 405 would have ever made it past the test firing stage. So my recommendation would be to take the words "case head thrust" out of your vocabulary completely. There is a potential problem with simple back thrust but that is mainly when you set off something like an Ultra Mag or Short Magnum with extreme high pressure. You have a lot of powder trying to light off and get thru that little case neck. I have used the example of a water hose often to explain this. If you have a 1" water hose running full blast and you pinch it down to one third of that size, that is extreme frontal pressure and extreme back thrust. Not case head thrust as there isn't one. It doesn't throw your hand off the hose, but the pressure is there. In a cartridge like the 50-70 or the 45-70, recoil can be a bitch but the case is not necked down so the actual pressure is not anywhere as bad as a necked down Short Magnum.

Now Huey mentioned the 6.5 Creedmore in his line up. I have no idea what the pressure is on that highly over rated cartridge and really don't care. My objection to it is all the mis-information and blatant lies going around about it being the absolute best you can get. But nuff said on that one.

I agree completely. My point on the 6.5 Creedmoor was...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 18:07 (2048 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

That not everything we read is true. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a fine round. I have a Ruger #1 so chambered. But, it doesn't shoot flat to 800 yards and it doesn't out perform my 6.5x55 that's been with us since 1894.

there are a handful of cartridges that will beat the 6.5

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 18:19 (2048 days ago) @ Huey

Creedmore. Hornady's new 6.5 PRC, in every test I have read kicks the Creedmore's butt soundly.

I love the 6.5s and have followed the 6.5 PRC too...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 18:30 (2048 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Will be interesting to follow. Its essentially a 6.5 Short Mag of sorts. I pretty much like all things Hornady anyways.

As you've correctly said so many times, bullet placement.