Many Years Ago In The Land Of Arizona

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 06:31 (2048 days ago)

Paco Kelly and I were experimenting with the then-new 454 Casull from Freedom Arms. We were trying about everything we could think of in them, seeing what could be done. Some things we tried worked well and some didn't. Most of it I won't write about ... BUT it was quite fun and showed us how amazing the gun was in many ways.

One experiment was with the 185 gr. extremely wide-mouthed 45 ACP hollowpoint bullet .. I disremember who made it but it was probably Speer. I was seeing how fast I could get the thing to go out of the 7 1/2" barrel ... and got some crazy velocities with what had to be 'way overpressure loads.

BUT .. the accuracy was non-existent. Some shots went straight. Some you could not hit a 4 x 4 foot piece of plywood at 20 feet!

However I was never one to give up too quickly and one day Paco and I were out looking for jackrabbits. I had the 454 loaded with the High Velocity 185 gr. loads. At some point I walked up behind a jack who was paying more attention to Paco who was about 50 yards to my right. The jack was maybe 20 yards away, facing away from me, sitting on his haunches.

I lined up on him and fired. There was a big flash and something went 'way up in the air .. maybe 20 feet or so .. and landed over toward Paco. It was the jack's head. The rest of him was little bits and strings all over the brush around him. There were no parts larger than my little finger any place.

I was glad I wasn't closer.

I soon gave up on the light bullets and began seeing how fast we could get JD's 345 gr. cast bullet. Which is another story.

THERE IS RECOIL AND THEN THERE IS R-E-C-O-I-L!!

JT
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 07:32 (2048 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

JD'S BULLET AT 1800 HAS TO BE FELT TO BE APPRECIATED!

Yessir! not sure I would say "appreciated" ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 07:44 (2048 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

Poor jack

Greg M.
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 08:39 (2048 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

The image of Paco Kelly wearing a jackrabbit's head for a hat made me laugh relentlessly. Thanks for this.

Doug bought a .454 Taurus Raging Bull

WB
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 09:10 (2048 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

it was a fat hefty gun, but well made and likeable. It shot three shots into a nice triangle at 30 yds. Then it got to where we could not hit the paper! Bore snake and a repeat. Finally in bright light we could see a "doughnut" in the bore just ahead of the forcing cone or throat of the barrel. It was just in front of the barrel threads/frame interface. You could not really see it but "feel" the slight flaring of the barrel if you knew where to hunt.

We figured someone tried a very lightly constructed .45 jacketed bullet and on the more rough Taurus (compared to FA anything) throating it shot the "center out of the jacket", and a second round behind, pushed it out bulging the tube. Shooting jacketed it probably performed well until fouling messed it up. We were shooting .45 Colt cast loads and it took 3 shots to foul it then the bore snake reset.

The 3 day inspection was in play, even thought we shot it the guy took it back. Not sure what Taurus warranty service would have thought of it but we passed the problem to the other owner. .454 needs a thicker jacket than .45 Colt 25K loads! I'm all in for sturdy cast in all applications.