357 Maximum Upgrade

freedomshooter
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 00:41 (87 days ago)

Is the Ruger 357 Max frame sufficient to build a 445 Super Mag? Can a SS cylinder be fitted in the frame? Thanks in advance guys....Ron

I have seen it done, but I dunno

WB
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 07:32 (87 days ago) @ freedomshooter

it is one of my fantasy builds. The SSM is pretty fine as is and the .357 Maximum is the ballistic the same as Gary's .356 GNR on the shorter std. frame. Just fine on med. game but the .44 sure would be sweet, able to shoot .44 Special, Magnums, and SM.

The gripframes are already steel as are the ejector rod housings. Just a little mechanically tweeking and they are good to go. Action job, throating, etc. stuff that makes it perform better. The fancy is up to you. BUT adding up al-la-carte you really get better value by plugging it into one of Gary's packages! Do the math first.

build on the maximum

freedomshooter
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 08:33 (87 days ago) @ WB

I believe I've got the perfect set-up for the build...I have a maximum frame that the late Lee Baker built at one time. He rechambered the cylinder for 44 Mag and gave it a 44 barrel so it fires 44 Mag fine but it seems to be a waste with that nice frame window to not utilize the cylinder length. I had a gunsmith look at the cylinder and it appears the way it was rechambered won't allow it to be extended past the current chambering....mmm

I'd want to Kerosafe the chambers and mic

WB
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 09:15 (86 days ago) @ freedomshooter

to see what I had but can't imagine why it could not be lengthened. (I'm not a Gunsmith, but I have stayed at Holiday Inn) There was a cat named Shiefer (sp?) who did up a short .444 Marlin long ago. But the .444 is not one of my favorite rounds as the factory throats are notoriously short (rifles) and the case gets thick internally too fast where long bullets can be problematic.

The whole beauty of the .445 SM is shooting .44 Specials and Magnums equally well. I had a single shot Gary did years ago and it was fantastic. Gary's .429 GNR mimics the performance, giving up only the varied ctg. versatility.

upgrading to something unique

freedomshooter
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 12:17 (86 days ago) @ WB

Yep...I have two handfuls of 44mags including an FA, even one of Gary's 500 S&W Reapers, just like unique revolvers and days and the range here in Bend, OR

HAVE HAD ONE FOR YEARS.

JT
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 07:33 (87 days ago) @ freedomshooter

- No text -

Ron, that is no problem. We have done quite a few

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 10:51 (86 days ago) @ freedomshooter

in 445, 41 GNR #2 and 375 GNR.
[image]

357 Maximum to 445 Supermag

freedomshooter
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 11:28 (86 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Gary, Sounds like I just need the new SS cylinder with chambering, if you've got an estimate, she's in the mail, Thanks

it is not quite as simple as that. The window has to be

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 12:47 (86 days ago) @ freedomshooter

opened up a bit and the frame has to be reblued afterwards. Then the new 5 shot cylinder fitted. Then we have to build you a new barrel in whatever length you want. Then you need a new front sight and the gun has to be reblued.
Here are your prices...
5 shot cylinder...$350
New barrel...$300
front sight...$100
reblue...$300
So we are looking at $1050 plus shipping so figure right at $1100.

357 to 445

freedomshooter
[subject]
Friday, September 14, 2018, 19:35 (86 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I trust you with it....Its headed your way...Thanks