Coated 32 Cast Bullet Experiment...

Huey
[subject]
Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 15:56 (2025 days ago)

I like the way Wadcutter Bullets hit at woods ranges. The wide flat point increase damage tremendously. Same way Gary's 22 Flattop Tool does for rimfire ammo.

Using coated bullets, I can seat them out and not be concerned with lube exposure.

These are in 327 Federal brass. Would be great in Gary's 32 Magnum Hellcat too.
[image]

I’ve been wanting to try some

BigRed
[subject]
Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 18:43 (2025 days ago) @ Huey

coated bullets as well. This will be interesting to follow!

check with WB. he is the pink bullet guru

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 19:23 (2025 days ago) @ BigRed

- No text -

Get some of the other guys to PM you.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 07:35 (2025 days ago) @ BigRed

I finally jumped in and gave it a try. You still really need to size the diameter as the "paint" will add 0.002-0.003" of diameter overall to the projectile. A savvy thing is to use 9mm spec. 0.356 bullets for your .38/.357 and skip that sizing. The cylinder throat and forcing cone/barrel will "uniform" the bullet for you anyway. I place gas checks on afterward (when applicable) but either way would work.

On the cheap go buy a small toaster oven at the discount store for $20-25. It will be no good for anything else after this. That's your biggest expense. I used Harbor Freight RED powder coat paint to begin, about $7 for thousands, and thousands of bullets worth. Reds sticks better for some reason. In a plastic coffee can I shake cast bullets up with the powder than pour out onto a 1/8" wire mesh with newspaper under to re-capture unused powder. Then place in the oven as prescribed. The temp deg. settings on all ovens are inaccurate so I'd go a bit less for longer, till you figure it out. You can repeat for a second coat but remember you are adding even more diameter.

Guys get so anal over their "best" methods but it's really simple. You are making bullet M&M's with a polymer coat. It slides down the bore great, no smoke, and seems to stick really well to the bullets. It takes about as long as doing it the "old fashioned" way but you are dealing with bulk amounts, less tedious. And it would give a competitive shooter an edge with literally no smoke firing. Once you get sucked into the "colored" cast bullets it is very addictive. Only a LEE push through sizer is all you'd really need to get as an alternative size operation. They screw into any press and are less than $30 I think. Figure well into $300+ to get into a lube/sizer press with all the dies and nose punches.

I've shot them at 500 fps up to 2500 fps and great results. A critter would never know or appreciate the difference.

I've shot the plain based coated bullets to 1700+ fps...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 08:53 (2025 days ago) @ WB

With no leading. So far I've shot them in calibers ranging from 25-50.

They've held up so well in my revolvers that I've started using them in my pistol caliber carbines.

I've not pushed the plain base that hard yet

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 10:46 (2024 days ago) @ Huey

but my little 80 gr. FPGC .257 cal. pill for Gary's rounds (.255 Banshee and .256 Falcon) I shot from a .25-35 Win. rifle using Lil'gun and 1680. They ran 2500 and 2200 fps respectively. Clean and just as good, seemingly, as jacketed bullets for my purposes.

[image]

The reason I put checks on after painting and before sizing? So I can SEE them, mine need to be sized after painting to .257" as they end up closer to .260" painted. You need to crimp on checks anyway so why do it twice?
[image]

Something as simple as this can do small batches. These were special PB 158 gr. SWC 9mm. They are a little long for the internal capacity of the Luger case, it gets thick before the bullet is fully seated. Ran a slick 1000 fps in my HP.

[image]

[image]

Did you ever chrono the differences between coated and not?

Amede
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 11:36 (2024 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I never thought of it actually. A handgun

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 15:03 (2024 days ago) @ Amede

might show differences more as the short barrel "needs" some restriction to more efficiently burn powder. Might be a difference that registers. I'd think a 24" tube with solid breach would minimize the effect. But that is an interesting concept I'll look into.

Just wondering if the paint coating,

Amede
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 16:30 (2024 days ago) @ WB

while protecting the lead actually does a good lubrication job and does at least the same velocity. Would be interesting. I have some 240 gr .452 Wadcutters that would be a perfect candidate. Might have to give a few a try this weekend.

LOL, do not try it in the house oven! Stinky!

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 18:51 (2024 days ago) @ Amede

It's polymer, the paint so it's not as tough as jacketed but I think lubed cast has got to be slicker if there is a measurement. I can't see the chrono showing a big difference.

Wadcutters

Frank B
[subject]
Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 06:20 (2025 days ago) @ Huey

Have enjoyed shooting 32 and 38 wadcutters for paper and critters for years. Work well even at lower velocities when using hollow base swagged lead. Hard cast double end can be pushed harder and impact with authority. The coated bullets should really be impressive.