Charter 41 mag / 45 colt

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 06:47 (2083 days ago)

Anyone had an opportunity to check out
Any of these 2 revolvers? Have not seen them locally in my area yet.
Been looking hard at the gp 100 ruger 44 spl with 3 inch barrel , anyone using that for concealed carry?

The Ruger GP 3" 44 spl is

Abin Sur
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 07:31 (2083 days ago) @ Derek

a dandy little gun. Some will find it a bit large for CCW but others wouldn't. The only detriment I see that they have is a lack of good grips. A smaller, round butt (perhaps finger grooved for those who would like them ) custom grips would be a welcome addition for those who want a carry gun for either CCW or just to pack around the woods/farm/trail. Grips would need to come in under the frame on the top of the web and behind the frame rearward of the trigger guard, to get the hand position higher on the gun and closer to the trigger for smaller hands.

The little Charter guns are far smaller but are also less robust for those who handload the 44 Spl to additional pressures. I was delighted with the little Charter "On Duty" model 74410 is a 44 spl with the shrouded hammer. As a bigger fellow, these actually fit in my jeans or vest pocket pretty well. The shrouded hammer helps to keep them snag free.

I think S&W is now offering their model 69, "L frame" sized 5 shot 44 mag in the shorter barrels too. It's about the same size as the GP100. Might be an alternative to look at too. Depends on what you'd like, would be comfortable to carry and what you'd use it for.

here is the 3" 44 Special we have been building for

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, August 13, 2018, 09:42 (2082 days ago) @ Abin Sur

a couple of years..we also build it in 44 magnum.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

That is very nice Gary!

Derek
[subject]
Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 08:02 (2081 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Derek, not the exact model / guns,

Jim in Flag
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 09:27 (2083 days ago) @ Derek

But I did recently buy (and only had out shooting twice so far) the Charter .40 Pitbull,
and the somewhat larger .45ACP Pitbull which appears to be the same platform they
use for the new .41 Mag... (the Pitbulls have the 'ribbed' ejector star that engages the
rimless auto cartridges, which works just fine.)
Got 'em as 'fun guns' (and they are!) as I liked their compact size and 'half-weight'
of an "N-frame" as in the case of the .45ACP... (both are 5 shot). With the 'all-finger'
grip, recoil is fun and no prob.... I even think the .45 / .41 mag platform would make a
dandy 10mm auto Pitbull, and emailed Charter Arms to think about it.
No, the guns don't have the tight tolerances or the accuracy in their stubby barrels as
their higher dollar heavy brethren (or the looks), but are unique.
To your original question, I believe 'real' .41 Mag ammo would be a handful in the 22
ounce 'larger' revolver!

Charter

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 09:36 (2083 days ago) @ Jim in Flag

Thanks guys, hadnt thought about those models Jim, would definitely be fun!

Link for Charter 41 at Buds

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 09:30 (2083 days ago) @ Derek

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/415003349/Firearms/Han...

How do yall think this would hold up? Think would be neat to have, maybe load up some 41 special loads to use also.

The Charter Arms Pug has been around for probably 25 years

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 15:32 (2083 days ago) @ Derek

or more. Excellent guns. I keep a couple around and if my memory serves me John Taffin likes them too.

also we have been building the 3" GP in 44 Special for over

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 15:37 (2083 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

2 years in several of our Trail Gun series. It works fine. We have built quite a few in the 3" 44 Magnum on the GP-100 also.

After JTs review, I bought the 4.2" Bulldog Target...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 16:33 (2083 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Believe JT had a 5" version. My 4.2" weighs 22 oz and is hard to beat for woods carry.

Thats right, I remember an article he wrote now

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 18:07 (2082 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Article for bulldog

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 18:50 (2082 days ago) @ Derek

I have always liked the big bore

Df
[subject]
Sunday, August 12, 2018, 17:14 (2083 days ago) @ Derek

snubbies. I just got in a used Taurus 445, ported blued 44 special. I have had two Tauruses like it before, one a stainless 45 acp, another a 44 spc ultralite. They all shoot great for what they are. The “tracker” (medium) frame seems good in anything. The ultralite was too light and I wasn’t crazy about the thin moon clips on the acp. They don’t make them anymore but you can find them-used for what about what a new charter costs. I just think they are a better made gun overall. Not that I would sneeze at a charter arms at the right price. I think Gary is off on the 25 years maybe. I remember the made a 22 that looked like a broomhandle when I was a youngster.